Surviving Minnesota!

I think I can count my first attempt a hatching eggs a success. 12 eggs in incubator, 11 hatched. The last one was almost full grown when I removed the egg (should of hatched the 22nd of July, pulled it on the 25th and cracked it open), but looks like I goofed up when I placed the lid back on and didn't let it turn the egg correctly.

So with 13 of the 17 eaten by the fox, my offspring is all kinds of mutts. Black Jersey Giants, White Cochin, and Buff Brahma, in no particular order or mix. I think there might be a couple pure Jersey's in there (feet color in particular) but the other guys and gals are a lovely mix of whites/grays/blacks.

I had one of those small two or three bird coops I had never used. Well the kids are growing like weeds, so I put six of them outside in that coop at week three and four (first batch hatched end of June). All are doing great, and when I let them out for an hour or two they start eating bugs/weeds/grass like a boss.

Grateful for having these kiddos to carry on their parents memories!

My father took the grandsons trout fishing in Whitewater state park about 5 years ago, and they went to the fishery there and DS said he thinks there was a small one he saw in a little hidey hole there. I would say those rattlers like water and they like food. And hidey holes.
And for sure if you build on habitat they come out of the hidey holes. We've also had a boon of mice these last two years. I wonder if the snakes are doing better these last few years too.

DS said he was working at the resort and they've had a pile of leaves there since this spring. He pushed it a little bit with the bobcat on Wednesday and the Garter snakes (big round ones too) came out by the hundreds. Must a been on a worm/bug buffet in those leaves. He said those leaves just came alive.
yuck...

Wow, Bogtown! I think our long winter did in the rodents. We’ve had shrews but very few mice and no chipmunks. I am happy about this! I’m tired of spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars fixing cars because chipmunks think wire is a buffet item. Consequently perhaps, I’ve seen only two little grass snakes so far this year. Then there IS a lot of very tall grass. I’m sure there are plenty that I’m not seeing.

It’s lucky we have hungry cows because the lower pasture was flooded so long this year that we couldn’t possibly mow the tall grass there. It’s all I can manage just to weed-whack under their temporary electric fences when I set up a new paddock for them. Which is what I’ve been doing today, in between ice water and fanning myself.

35EB67B7-A49F-42F9-96EF-2F66D4384FFF.jpeg
Good morning!

Busy day packing up our county fair. Hopefully, all of the chickens make it home safely. We are expecting 85 degrees and sopping wet humidity. Our poultry barn has little ventilation.

Our daughter rocked her breeding poster.

Back
Top Bottom