Surviving Minnesota!

My parents planted a red flowered bush honeysuckle when I was a kid . Sold them back then and still may . The woods is full of the invasive now . Mostly white flowers but a few pink . The one in the pic is not open yet but some are .

My parents planted a red flowered bush honeysuckle when I was a kid . Sold them back then and still may . The woods is full of the invasive now . Mostly white flowers but a few pink . The one in the pic is not open yet but some are .
I mainly have the white and a few pink. Have the vines too. The vines stay green through most of the winter and the deer like to eat them. All are somewhat invasive here. The bush seem to die back when pruned. They don't live forever and when they get to a good size they die. At least the ones that are in a spot I want them in. LOL 😂
The poultry like to eat the leaves and berries

Well the ones with the white flowers are the ones that smell amazing here. The invasive kind.
Because, well, why would anything so good be good for you too?

The one you called Dame’s Rocket is known as wild phlox in my neck of the woods. You can see them blooming g on the edges of just about every grove around here in early to mid June. Except my grove. For some reason they aren’t here.
Yep, we call them wild phlox too. I have them all over in my grove.

So I want to grow Lupines at the lake in MN . They seem to love the soil - climate . I tried direct sowing but no luck . I have some seeds growing in solo cups . Seems they like a sandy soil . They hate my clay soil here . So any tips on growing them ?

So I want to grow Lupines at the lake in MN . They seem to love the soil - climate . I tried direct sowing but no luck . I have some seeds growing in solo cups . Seems they like a sandy soil . They hate my clay soil here . So any tips on growing them ?
Here lupines do well in the sandy soil that is not watered. They aren't growing anywhere that I water.

Here lupines do well in the sandy soil that is not watered. They aren't growing anywhere that I water.
I thought sandy soil was what they like . Got that at the lake . Some people have huge patches near the road . I may make a sandy raised bed here for some .

I planted some white Hesperis seeds I got off eBay . I only have blue ones now . They are a European wildflower .

Back
Top Bottom