Surviving Minnesota!

Is everyone enjoying the heat!? 🥵🤬
Any little bit of rain goes around us it’s so so dry! I heard thunder awhile ago but that was it 🥲
Same here. I heard the thunder while I was doing my evening watering, but not a drop of rain. Humidity went up, but that was it.

Im so over the 90’s. Night temps don’t even cool things down. The house is so hot🥵

It has been too hot for June and with no rain to speak of. I have a Korean Maple that is not liking it. The chickens don't seem to mind, but I suspect they would like some rain to bring some worms out. The South has too much rain and we have too little. Two more hens have gone broody, and that could mean a lot of chicks.

The young ones don't mind the heat but old Cocoa likes to go into the garage in the afternoon and lie down for awhile on the cool cement floor.

Another day in the most humid desert in the world. I be dying!

I had some important stuff to do like take my prop to the prop shop in Sauk Rapids/St. cloud for you non-residents. I also needed an oil filter, motor muffs and a bag of winter rye.

So I stopped at the one stop shop “Mimbachs”. They normally have everything.

I can see the Covid economy has taken a toll on their staff. I found the motor muffs but they don’t have filters for Yamaha outboards. I knew it was a long shot.

Now to the rye. I did not stutter, I asked nicely if they had “winter rye”. The first guy said “yep, right of here”. Then lead me to the rye grass.

I explained I wanted winter rye not rye grass, but would take spring rye if that’s all they have.

I got the vacant stare and the guy was looking at me like I was the one with an IQ of 72. Then he smiled and pointed to the rye grass again and said, “yep, the rye is right here, it says rye grass right on the bag, rye grass is rye”.

I politely said. “Thank you, but that’s not what I want, have a good day,” and walked away.

Then I saw a guy driving a fork lift with a pallet of clover seed, I figured he would know where the rye is. No such luck, he took me to the same rye grass. When I said that’s not what I need”

Then he pointed a pallet of winter wheat. He said we have winter wheat. I said I need rye not wheat. I was going to explain I don’t have an allotment for wheat, but why bother with the big words.

I was on my way out the store and an important looking guy in the grey shirts was coming my way. So I asked again.

The guy said, “Sure do follow me”. I was ecstatic for 21 seconds to be getting my rye, but when he turned down the aisle with the rye grass, my glee took a nose dive.

He pointed at the rye grass and said, “here ya go”.

I informed him that was rye grass. He read the label and said, “Oh, you’re right”. These were 50 pound bags of seed in this area. I wasn’t going tell him I wanted a bushel or two, that would have deflated him to find out 50 pounds is not a bushel.

For those of you not knowing a bushel of corn and rye weigh the same amount, a bushel of wheat is more, oats less, for the city folk here considering applying at Mimbachs.

Then he got excited and said,” we are out of big bags but we have 5 & 10 pound bags of rye. Thinking to myself this is not going to be cheap. He lead me to a different area of the store with the lawn and garden stuff. I had a feeling this was not going to be good.
I was right it was not.

He pointed to some clear plastic bags and said, “this is all the rye we have right now”.

I said, “Where”, because I didn’t see the rye.

He said, lhere this is rye,” holding up a clear plastic bag of rye grass.

I thanked him and left the store.

I am still looking for a bushel or two of rye.

Back
Top Bottom