Suspected cockerels in hatch

What's the difference between culling them now, or letting someone raise them for several months and then turn them into dinner? Either way, the end result is the same, but at least as dinner, they weren't wasted.

I will permanently cull for injury/illness, meat, or agression. I won't permanently cull just because they are cockerels.
It's not so much about them being raised for meat as it is about them going to a person who isn't truthful or upfront about their plans for the cockerel. I hate that I have to be so suspicious, but again: it seems like dishonesty is a fairly common issue when it comes to free roosters; I feel like I have to be concerned. If people on this forum of all places are boasting that they take in "free to a good home" rescue roosters so they can immediately turn them into chili (granted these were posts from 2018), then I am definitely on watch when it comes to any random person who lurks the corners of Craigslist or Facebook. If people are dishonest about using the rooster for meat, who knows what other kind of stuff they might lie about.

The point being, if I can't be sure the person I'm giving the animal to is being truthful, I can't be sure if they have his best interest in mind to begin with. I don't want to cull before I even advertise, however I want to be fully prepared as I know selling for even a small amount of money can take months or more to do. My understanding is people who are seeking a quick, disposable cockerel take to the ones which are listed for free and that's where my worries come in. I wouldn't give away a puppy for free and that same reason is why.

If it came down to it, I would rather cull them myself and ensure they never had to go through any undue suffering. I will at least try to sell them first, though, even though it seems like a lost cause.... I knew roosters are hard to sell, but I didn't figure they would be treated as so disposable. I would have proceeded much differently had I started out knowing the kinds of things people will do with a free cockerel.

This conversation raises the question...

What do I do with the 3 of them in general now? I have everything they need to thrive until they're feathered and ready to move outdoors, but I don't have the resources to care for them once they're ready for the coop as I do not have a permanent outdoor living space for them. I didn't plan on keeping them for longer than that anyways but I realize now that I shouldn't hatch unless I'm able to keep them for the remainder of their lives. It wasn't responsible of me to think otherwise.

I suppose I just didn't figure that people who hatch tons of chicks would be able to sustain them all as adult chickens, so I should be in the clear with only a handful, but I understand now that I shouldn't hatch anything I can't afford to keep for the long haul. I thought I should be fine as there's no way people who hatch 50+ chicks a year could keep all those chicks as adults, though perhaps I just chose the wrong model to follow...

I thought hatching chicks would just be something fun to try as I have lots of experience in breeding exotics, but I know this isn't a justification for hatching. I know now that this was selfish of me.

So---what do I do with them if I can't keep them through adulthood? The mistake was already made, I don't need to be scolded for raising chicks that I can't keep. I know it was the wrong decision. I thought it would be no problem since I had every intention of rehoming by the time they are feathered anyways, but I know that doesn't make it better. The absolute last thing in the world that I want is for these little guys to suffer. I feel horrible for hatching them without having a coop.

Last edited:
If they are true Ameraucana chicks (not EE wrongly named), they could be worth something to someone, since they are rarer. Someone could want a starter flock. Just tossing that idea out.
They are true ameraucanas, but their colors aren't the most fascinating. Not sure if that would change things!

It's not so much about them being raised for meat as it is about them going to a person who isn't truthful or upfront about their plans for the cockerel. I hate that I have to be so suspicious, but again: it seems like dishonesty is a fairly common issue when it comes to free roosters; I feel like I have to be concerned. If people on this forum of all places are boasting that they take in "free to a good home" rescue roosters so they can immediately turn them into chili (granted these were posts from 2018), then I am definitely on watch when it comes to any random person who lurks the corners of Craigslist or Facebook. If people are dishonest about using the rooster for meat, who knows what other kind of stuff they might lie about.

The point being, if I can't be sure the person I'm giving the animal to is being truthful, I can't be sure if they have his best interest in mind to begin with. I don't want to cull before I even advertise, however I want to be fully prepared as I know selling for even a small amount of money can take months or more to do. My understanding is people who are seeking a quick, disposable cockerel take to the ones which are listed for free and that's where my worries come in. I wouldn't give away a puppy for free and that same reason is why.

If it came down to it, I would rather cull them myself and ensure they never had to go through any undue suffering. I will at least try to sell them first, though, even though it seems like a lost cause.... I knew roosters are hard to sell, but I didn't figure they would be treated as so disposable. I would have proceeded much differently had I started out knowing the kinds of things people will do with a free cockerel.
I'm going to say this again, at this point, YOU DO NOT KNOW IF THEY ARE MALES. Anyone buying straight run, newly hatched chicks knows the chance they take and can prepare for it. Most plan on processing cockerels they aren't going to keep when they are big enough for the table. They aren't looking to buy young chicks in hopes of having a male they can use for cock fights months down the road.

I'm going to say this again, at this point, YOU DO NOT KNOW IF THEY ARE MALES. Anyone buying straight run, newly hatched chicks knows the chance they take and can prepare for it. Most plan on processing cockerels they aren't going to keep when they are big enough for the table. They aren't looking to buy young chicks in hopes of having a male they can use for cock fights months down the road.
I'm sorry. I really am not trying to be offensive, I just worry about the welfare of these chicks. I have already failed them by hatching them under these circumstances and I don't want to accidentally turn them over to someone who will treat them like disposable objects.

Though, I suppose I don't have much choice. All things considered, I would feel more comfortable selling them as a straight run than giving them away for free, just for the sake of their own security. I apologize again for the trouble.

They are true ameraucanas, but their colors aren't the most fascinating. Not sure if that would change things!
I don't know anything about the breed, other than they are more rare, but if you're trying to rehome them, it's worth noting. Some people really want a chicken that lays blue eggs, or to breed chickens that do.

We've all made mistakes. The worst mistake of all is not learning from them. Good luck! :hugs

I don't know anything about the breed, other than they are more rare, but if you're trying to rehome them, it's worth noting. Some people really want a chicken that lays blue eggs, or to breed chickens that do.

We've all made mistakes. The worst mistake of all is not learning from them. Good luck! :hugs
I'll keep that in mind. I am brand new to chickens as of last month but I know I've seen quite a few ameraucanas around my family's land. I guess I figured they were more common!

Thank you, I appreciate it. I really, honestly never thought I would need to have a coop prepared just in case I couldn't sell them on time. I never would have thought that either, if it hadn't been brought to my attention here. I know how important it is to be prepared to care for your animals, but I thought I had it covered since I had everything I needed to care for them for the time I planned on keeping them. I would consider the event of not having them sold, or at least rehomed, prior to 6 weeks to be very unlikely, especially since I personally know many people with coops. I should have thought more carefully however and I feel awful for not doing so. Not just with these guys but with the other animals I breed, as well... just because I haven't had to keep any yet doesn't mean I won't have to. I figured surely the people who are hatching hundreds of chicks a year don't have the coop space to accommodate all of them as adults---especially seeing as several will inevitably be roosters---but I guess I hadn't considered the irresponsibility and inherent risk of that practice, as well.

A lot of "surprises" happened in my first few months of chickening too. Do the best you can, learn, and forgive yourself.

Where are you located? (You can add that to your profile.) Maybe post on your state's thread? Or put a notice up at your local TSC? Check out your local 4H group, maybe? You said there are farms in the area, so maybe a local FFA group could help. Just tossing out ideas.

I know you have learned from this. You will be wiser going forward. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom