Suspected cockerels in hatch

Oh also you could contact your local humane society. Kinda odd but the one near me actually takes chickens and helps re-home them. So you could look into that! You'd know at that point they'd go to a good place.
That's a good idea! Chickens are popular pets down here and there are always some at the shelters. I think that's a good plan to fall back on. For now I'm going to try and sell my little ones into good homes. After doing some research, I may be alright here since my birds aren't mutts or anything super commom.

I can't bring myself to cull the little guys, whether now or 5 weeks from now. I can't cull a healthy chick. I'm sure the chances of them ending up in an abusive home are a lot lower than the internet makes it seem... for all the heartless nuts I'm sure there are 10 caring owners who want to give the bird a good life. :)

So after sleeping on the issue and emerging from my medication-induced state of emotions... I will definitely not be culling my boys. I'll find them a good home! They may not be uniquely colored, but they are still beautiful little ameraucanas. I'm sure they'll find someplace nice to go. :)

The plan is still to sell them before 6 weeks. Having done some more browsing along this forum and others, I don't feel like my setup/lack of a coop will at all be to my chickens' detriment. Keeping them though adulthood is just not going to happen, and I have everything I need to keep them healthy and happy until they go to their new homes. All in all, I'm having tons of fun with them and believe I'm providing them with a good home. Worst case scenario, they'll be my roommates for a little while until they find homes!

Though they don't have an outdoor paddock, they still get plenty of fresh air and like to go exploring under my watch. Seeing as most people brood indoors, and many others keep housechickens even in apartments, I genuinely don't feel like I am depriving these chicks of a proper environment. They have all they need for now and will be relocated as soon as they grow ready for outdoor life... nowhere in my plans for them will they be made to endure a lack of resources that will negatively impact their quality of life. These guys are my babies. I want what's best for them!

Back
Top Bottom