Suspicious comb development on Golden Campine, rut roh!

I read in my Storey's book that campines will have prominant combs and wattles, even if they are hens. That might give you hope unless it crows! Which should be around 8 weeks.
Kristyne

I also dont think that the glod/white/black chick is a delaware. I just got 3 today and they are all yellow. I also looked online at delaware chicks on the idea hatchery site and they are all yellow too. You might have to ask whoever you got them from about this. It is still a super cute chick though!
Kristyne

Quote:
Oooh, a little hope is good. I'll just stay cautiously optomistic for the moment, lol!

I also dont think that the glod/white/black chick is a delaware. I just got 3 today and they are all yellow. I also looked online at delaware chicks on the idea hatchery site and they are all yellow too. You might have to ask whoever you got them from about this. It is still a super cute chick though!
Kristyne

She is a Delaware--she's was solid gold when she was young, but she's starting to feather out with white and a bit of black
smile.png
They're 3 weeks.​

Here are some more pics. Her feathering is gorgeous right now. I love that one to death. If yours are any where near as friendly and loving as mine, you're in for quite a treat!!

(Please excuse the messy garage in the background. My life has been "chickens chickens chickens!" for going on three weeks now
tongue.png
Plus we're in chicken coop building mode, so everything is scattered about)

12.jpg
13.jpg
11.jpg

They are all so cute. Thanks. My delawares and my rocks are the bravest so far. My "pets" dont want to be held. Maybe when they are old enough for treats they will be more brave.
Kristyne

Very cute. I have four Delawares I hatched, two boys and two girls. I have dubbed them "the Vampire Chicks" because they plucked the backs of seven Speckled Sussex in one afternoon and I had to separate them. The boys are so aggressive that one bites me every time I go to add food and water to the dog kennel they are currently in-it's a huge one and they are only in there to give the others a break and because I'm selling them all. I wonder what's up with mine. I've never had aggressive chicks and I've hatched a bunch of them of several breeds. Anyway, here are the Vampire Gang at five weeks, who are now six weeks old-they are beautiful birds and will probably be fine as they get older, but those prickly feather quills were just too much to resist that day, I guess, LOL.
DCP_7072.jpg

Oh, they're gorgeous, Speckled!

Ok, so I just had to reopen this thread because the strangest thing happened. First off, after looking at pictures of younger female Campines, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I have a roo. I'm actually kind of liking the idea now as I wanted one badly, but decided against adding one to my order. Guess what is meant to be is meant to be.

Anyway, back to the strange thing. My chicks are in their 5th week starting today. I was sitting out in the garage letting them run about and roost on the edges of the brooder a bit while I changed the shavings because unfortunately it's rainy outside and they couldn't have their daily play date. Anyway, long story short, I inhaled some shavings and promptly went into a coughing fit. A coughing fit that was punctuated by the most obscure sound I have ever heard. Goldie (Or Cap'n Jack I should say) was standing tall, head raised up making this horribly whacky and unfamiliar noise. He has this other little trill-type sound that is much different than the noises from the other chicks, but this was completely different yet again. It was at least twice as loud and really high pitched. I stared at him, he stood stock still as if thinking 'where the heck did that come from?!' and then suddenly just went about his business.

Now, I'm pretty sure roos don't start trying to crow until 8 weeks, but darn if that didn't sound like a baby crow in the making. It was quite a pathetic sound, but drawn out for a long while which is unusual. Usually it's either just peeping or that strange peep/cluck in between noise from the other chicks. Am I crazy or is my roo starting on his way to being a great neighbor annoyer?! Isn't it a bit soon?

Anyway, I'm going to try and get some good pictures of him and I will post. Like I said, I'm almost positive we'll have a little dude guiding the girls about
smile.png

One quick question: although he has finally started feathering out a bit more, he's still waaay behind the others and looking positively scraggly. Is this a characteristic of the breed? Or perhaps of males? The others are very close to being completely feathered out, except for Cap'n Jack.

Hello.

I am new to the site (not to chicken chat rooms though) and new to golden campines. I have just asked the woman I bought my eggs from because I have monster combs on both my campines. She said that her strain has large combs on both the roosters and the hens.

these 2 are only 3 weeks old. I think that the biggest determiner for your little campine is the slow feathering. I had an easter egg rooster last year that had full adult crowing at 7 weeks and practice crow warbling at 4 weeks.

QueenAmedalaandDollar.jpg

Dollar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom