SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all! Just looking to get some info on my ducks! I currently have one blue swedish drake and one black swedish female. I've never owned ducks before and do not know much about them.  They were hatched in early July and are about 4 months old. Just wondering when my female will start laying eggs? And if she will sit on the eggs herself? Or, if we will have to get an incubator if we want ducklings? We live in northern Colorado and the ducks have their own pond and shed shelter to stay in at night. Otherwise they are free roam in my backyard during the day.  I do not have a heat source set up for them yet this winter as it hasn't been very cold yet.  Only about 30 degrees at night so far. If i want her to start laying, should I set up a heat lamp?  Also, I do not really want ducklings until spring if possible. Too much to deal with this winter.  :/ ANY advice/ info helps! Also, they are currently eating scratch grains mixed with flock raiser. Should I switch their food to something different since they are getting older? THANKS

Mine hatched last March, she started laying in September. Laid all winter long, almost every day. She went broody in May, and hatched her lings early June. She collected 17 eggs before she quit laying. 12 were fertile, one quit early, she rolled an almost fully developed one out of the nest within the last couple of days, and hatched the other 10.

What color of eggs do black Swedish lay?

White with a somewhat grayish appearance.

Hey first winter with ducks and chickens, I was wondering what should I be doing for feed to replace the frozen grass.

Back
Top Bottom