Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I adore that blue snoleopard.
fl.gif
I hatch one this year!
Thanks guys! I love all of them. There are 2 blue based sno's in my breeding pen with Spoticus. This little girl is going to end up with Loki when he gets big enough. The black base sno is her hatchmate, so she will have to take a mate in another pen. This is little Loki. The cockerel above is Magnum.

I have some SFH in the incubator now. Only 6 because of USPS. I'm surprised I have any given the circumstances. 3 eggs were broken out of 17. Only 3 did not start. One was an early quitter and 4 more quit soon after. I'm hoping they hatch well. I usually have problem when it comes time to hatch. A lot of malpositions. Not sure if it's a shipped egg thing or something I'm doing wrong.

I have some SFH in the incubator now. Only 6 because of USPS. I'm surprised I have any given the circumstances. 3 eggs were broken out of 17. Only 3 did not start. One was an early quitter and 4 more quit soon after. I'm hoping they hatch well. I usually have problem when it comes time to hatch. A lot of malpositions. Not sure if it's a shipped egg thing or something I'm doing wrong.

So sorry to hear that. Are you letting the eggs rest for a period of time before putting them in the incubator so the air cells can reattach? Do you candle the air cells after they have rested to make sure they have reattached? If shipped eggs aren't rested long enough before putting them in the incubator, they may be left with rolling air cells which may impact malposition.

There's a really good article in the learning center about hatching shipped eggs. Perhaps you can read that, if you have not already done so, and see if there is anything you can try doing differently the next time.

It certainly does not help that the box is so beat up. Sometimes I wonder if people see "Fragile" stickers and decide to bang it around extra to see what happens. Will the seller or post office do anything to assist?

It is so frustrating to pay good money for hatching eggs, get excited about the new chicks you may have, and then have a disappointing hatch. Good luck!

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that.  Are you letting the eggs rest for a period of time before putting them in the incubator so the air cells can reattach? Do you candle the air cells after they have rested to make sure they have reattached?  If shipped eggs aren't rested long enough before putting them in the incubator, they may be left with rolling air cells which may impact malposition. 

There's a really good article in the learning center about hatching shipped eggs.  Perhaps you can read that, if you have not already done so, and see if there is anything you can try doing differently the next time. 

It certainly does not help that the box is so beat up.  Sometimes I wonder if people see "Fragile" stickers and decide to bang it around extra to see what happens.  Will the seller or post office do anything to assist?

It is so frustrating to pay good money for hatching eggs, get excited about the new chicks you may have, and then have a disappointing hatch.  Good luck!

I do let my shipped eggs rest for 24 hours before putting them into the incubator. This batch I let rest for 36 hours. I also read that you should not turn them for the first couple of days. Usually I turn the turner on right away or in 24 hours but I heard it's better to do it between 3 and 7 days.

The seller has been great to work with. The fact that they have done as well as they have shows the health of the sellers flock and her ability to pack. I do believe that the damage was done intentionally as the box was clearly marked. Why people do it I'll never know.
I have some silkie eggs due to hatch this weekend. I have not turned until day 4. I also made adjustments to my humidity. Hoping it helps some.

subscribing

Im a total newbie getting my first chicks in March. I ordered a SFH as an afterthought. I really wanted a speckled sussex because I love the speckled look but there were none. So I was basically just looking to fill my 15 chick quota and stumbled on these. Its said docile so I just went for it. But in reading about them I am super excited and hope I get a hen and not a roo. Dont want to keep any roos. I ordered from Meyers and I know there have been some complaints that they were not good representations of the breed but I am strictly purchasing for backyard hobby. Also, if I end up not liking it I have a friend who is going to take all the chicks I dont want, roos too. I wish I could keep all 16 (if they survive) but as a first timer I was warned not to take on too much. I plan on keeping at most 8. The hard part will be deciding which chicks to give away.

Anyway, I got way off track. I've been reading this thread to learn more and I hear different names of the color variations. Is there somewhere that I can see a picture of each color variation? Also, are they cold hardy? I live in MA. Im sure Ill have more questions. I never even considered this breed but now that I have one on order Im probably the most excited about this one.

Thanks

subscribing

Im a total newbie getting my first chicks in March. I ordered a SFH as an afterthought. I really wanted a speckled sussex because I love the speckled look but there were none. So I was basically just looking to fill my 15 chick quota and stumbled on these. Its said docile so I just went for it. But in reading about them I am super excited and hope I get a hen and not a roo. Dont want to keep any roos. I ordered from Meyers and I know there have been some complaints that they were not good representations of the breed but I am strictly purchasing for backyard hobby. Also, if I end up not liking it I have a friend who is going to take all the chicks I dont want, roos too. I wish I could keep all 16 (if they survive) but as a first timer I was warned not to take on too much. I plan on keeping at most 8. The hard part will be deciding which chicks to give away.

Anyway, I got way off track. I've been reading this thread to learn more and I hear different names of the color variations. Is there somewhere that I can see a picture of each color variation? Also, are they cold hardy? I live in MA. Im sure Ill have more questions. I never even considered this breed but now that I have one on order Im probably the most excited about this one.

Thanks

Welcome!
Congrats on starting a flock, I'm sure you will love it, but be warned chickens are addicting. Especially the Swedish Flowers.

I wanna say the quail eggs I am looking to have shipped.... the seller said they have much better luck if they leave the box unmarked verses this being the norm for things marked fragile. USPS
somad.gif
last year when I had chicks delivered were in transit for 4 days and when I opened the box had feces on the inside top showing the chicks were upside down with the shipping material on top of them for a period of time!
he.gif
Never mind that they were marked Live Animal and all that....

Have been thinking if I ever do ship eggs, which is best marked or unmarked?

I have at least 4 SFH in the incubator, due to hatch on the 8th.
jumpy.gif

subscribing

Thanks
I remember when you were deciding on breeds still.... glad you are trying an SFH.... did you order them sexed? Maybe you will end up with a snoleapord, they are beautifully speckled.
smile.png
Not my best pic to show it but you get the idea. I also like the speckled look, it is very striking out in the pasture.

To me, the description of docile is kind of misleading, not for this breed but in general. Even flighty birds can be docile. To me it just means they aren't pecking the heck out of you when you are handling them... not they will be happy for you to handle them. But if anybody cares to elaborate, I'm willing to learn!

Yes. I don't need to snuggle my chickens much. I just prefer ones that won't peck me at every chance or make it miserable for me to go in and out of the run etc. Also I don't want total bullies in my coop. I understand there is a neccesity of pecking order but I don't want aggressive chickens.

On another not I'm super excited about the SFH. So that is what a snoleopord is. Does that mean it's heavily flecked with white? Just trying to figure out the color variences.

Very pretty chicken you have there.

PS yes I ordered all hens so we shall see.

Last edited:
subscribing

Thanks
just in for a few seconds but they handle the cold just fine with proper conditions. This boy has survived for 4 years in Ohio and the 2 previous years we spent many nights at -30 and many days in the single digits.
as you can see he has had some frostbite but is otherwise fine in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom