Swedish Flower Hen Thread

First off, gorgeous rooster! Wow! So it doesn't usually get that cold here. I would say average range of temp in winter about 20's to 40's with some teens overnight on occasion. We do get single digits from time to time but that is not the norm. And below zero very rarely. Thanks for that info.

So, what gives? Why aren't these stunning birds everywhere? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly just to learn more about them.

First off, gorgeous rooster! Wow! So it doesn't usually get that cold here. I would say average range of temp in winter about 20's to 40's with some teens overnight on occasion. We do get single digits from time to time but that is not the norm. And below zero very rarely. Thanks for that info.

So, what gives? Why aren't these stunning birds everywhere? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly just to learn more about them.
They are still rare. Many people know nothing about them, never heard of them. They tend to be expensive to purchase in comparison to other common breeds. Lastly, lots of people want pullets only as of right now meyer hatchery is the only place that sells sexed chicks.

Last edited:
I wanna say the quail eggs I am looking to have shipped.... the seller said they have much better luck if they leave the box unmarked verses this being the norm for things marked fragile. USPS :mad:    last year when I had chicks delivered were in transit for 4 days and when I opened the box had feces on the inside top showing the chicks were upside down with the shipping material on top of them for a period of time! :he   Never mind that they were marked Live Animal and all that....

Have been thinking if I ever do ship eggs, which is best marked or unmarked?

I have at least 4 SFH in the incubator, due to hatch on the 8th. :jumpy

I too have heard that unmarked boxes may do better. This is the worst a box ever shipped. But I have had good and bad results both ways.

The good, docile, friendly, great free rangers, large to xlarge cream to light brown eggs, cold and heat hardy, not flighty, gorgeous color patterns and np 2 are alike!

The bad, laying drops off severely in the winter in year 2 (after the first molt) and further. Roosters can get frostbite due to large combs in severe cold, rooster grow very large spurs (not an aggression issue but does cause breeding issues with old roosters), have to watch breeding crested birds(you should not breed crested and crested together, it results in larger crests and possibly vaulted skulls which reduces free ranging ability due to impaired vision and vaulted skulls are very prone to brain injury)

The good, docile, friendly, great free rangers, large to xlarge cream to light brown eggs, cold and heat hardy, not flighty, gorgeous color patterns and np 2 are alike!

The bad, laying drops off severely in the winter in year 2 (after the first molt) and further. Roosters can get frostbite due to large combs in severe cold, rooster grow very large spurs (not an aggression issue but does cause breeding issues with old roosters), have to watch breeding crested birds(you should not breed crested and crested together, it results in larger crests and possibly vaulted skulls which reduces free ranging ability due to impaired vision and vaulted skulls are very prone to brain injury)
I didn't realize spurs could cause mating issues, but that makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

My favorite thing is that no 2 are alike even though they are pure. Also, I like that they are rare which was what led me to them in the first place. And I agree most people want pullets and also can't deal with the minimums for shipping in many cases. I actually have someone driving 7+ hours each way to get some from me in a couple of months for those two reasons. (sorry if I said that before, but it's exciting to have something desirable) And I drove about 3 hours each way to get mine. They don't seem too aggressive among the flock either, unlike my Marans (boys) who seem to start stuff all the time. Our SFH cockerels have been our favorite out of the Salmon Faverolles, Ameraucana, Brahma, FBCM. Hard to say who my favorite girls are as my SFH are starting to hang out more now.
love.gif

Sad to hear that winter laying drops off after the first molt. My girls haven't quit yet. It's been quite an impressive display.

Recently popped all the long spurs off my breeding OEGB for the spring, to give the new spurs time to harden. Soreness can hamper breeding as well.

So, I understand the basic genetics chart of SFH varieties, but how is a splash defined, or better yet, can anyone share pics of their splashes? Splashes in other breeds (Marans, Ameraucana, Barnevelder, Wyandotte, etc). are extremely easy to spot, are they equally as easy to spot in SFH?

Also, most of my SFH look like this... which I assume all meet the definition of Black based. So, even though some had variations of brown chick down and some were black tuxedo, if I breed them, all I am ever going to get are more chicks that basically look just like these, correct. I guess I already know the answer, just looking for someone to verify.

Last edited:
So, I understand the basic genetics chart of SFH varieties, but how is a splash defined, or better yet, can anyone share pics of their splashes? Splashes in other breeds (Marans, Ameraucana, Barnevelder, Wyandotte, etc). are extremely easy to spot, are they equally as easy to spot in SFH? Also, most of my SFH look like this... which I assume all meet the definition of Black based. So, even though some had variations of brown chick down and some were black tuxedo, if I breed them, all I am ever going to get are more chicks that basically look just like these, correct. I guess I already know the answer, just looking for someone to verify.
splash in Swedish flowers show up white. Or mostly white with specks of colors here and there. You are correct that you will end up more birds that look similar to what you have now.

So, I understand the basic genetics chart of SFH varieties, but how is a splash defined, or better yet, can anyone share pics of their splashes? Splashes in other breeds (Marans, Ameraucana, Barnevelder, Wyandotte, etc). are extremely easy to spot, are they equally as easy to spot in SFH?

Also, most of my SFH look like this... which I assume all meet the definition of Black based. So, even though some had variations of brown chick down and some were black tuxedo, if I breed them, all I am ever going to get are more chicks that basically look just like these, correct. I guess I already know the answer, just looking for someone to verify.

Trailrider, it is apparent that you need more chickens so you can get more colors! What you have are very pretty though!

That's what happened to me and now I have nearly 50! I've got LOTS of color!

Back
Top Bottom