Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Trailrider, it is apparent that you need more chickens so you can get more colors! What you have are very pretty though!

That's what happened to me and now I have nearly 50! I've got LOTS of color!

If only I wasnt already technically over my limit, that might be an option. I just can't limit myself to one breed.
celebrate.gif

I do let my shipped eggs rest for 24 hours before putting them into the incubator. This batch I let rest for 36 hours. I also read that you should not turn them for the first couple of days. Usually I turn the turner on right away or in 24 hours but I heard it's better to do it between 3 and 7 days.

The seller has been great to work with. The fact that they have done as well as they have shows the health of the sellers flock and her ability to pack. I do believe that the damage was done intentionally as the box was clearly marked. Why people do it I'll never know.
I have some silkie eggs due to hatch this weekend. I have not turned until day 4. I also made adjustments to my humidity. Hoping it helps some.

Everything you're doing sounds really good, but you mentioned making adjustments to your humidity. I have hatched a lot of SFH and know a lot of breeders as well, Flowers really do best with a totally dry hatch. Meaning NO water until lockdown. And if you delay lockdown to day 19, that's even better. When you do add water at lockdown, just add a little and get it to about 60-65%. These chicks are susceptible to drowning if they don't have nice, large air cells before adding water.

Happy hatching :jumpy

Everything you're doing sounds really good, but you mentioned making adjustments to your humidity. I have hatched a lot of SFH and know a lot of breeders as well, Flowers really do best with a totally dry hatch. Meaning NO water until lockdown. And if you delay lockdown to day 19, that's even better. When you do add water at lockdown, just add a little and get it to about 60-65%. These chicks are susceptible to drowning if they don't have nice, large air cells before adding water.

Happy hatching
jumpy.gif
ugh!
barnie.gif

Have a few SFH in the incubator right now..... Ran at 40% humidity, pretty sure my air cells are still too small. First hatch ever, still have to hope for the best!
fl.gif
Even though I went against my instinct not to hatch before my birds reach the 1 year mark, and I can see my cockerels color is still changing... aside from all the developmental changes that are probably still taking place with the pullets.
hmm.png
I guess I just got excited and wanted to do a test hatch!
jumpy.gif
Maybe I will just not keep any from this hatch for my personal flock (if I get any), since they are less like to meet my breeding goal.
hu.gif

Thanks for sharing your tips!
D.gif

Happy hatching :jumpy

Thank you so much for the tips. I will make adjustments and keep my fingers crossed. I have more eggs on the way.

ugh! :barnie

Have a few SFH in the incubator right now..... Ran at 40% humidity, pretty sure my air cells are still too small. First hatch ever, still have to hope for the best! :fl  Even though I went against my instinct not to hatch before my birds reach the 1 year mark, and I can see my cockerels color is still changing... aside from all the developmental changes that are probably still taking place with the pullets. :/  I guess I just got excited and wanted to do a test hatch! :jumpy  Maybe I will just not keep any from this hatch for my personal flock (if I get any), since they are less like to meet my breeding goal. :confused:

Thanks for sharing your tips! :cd

I got my fingers crossed
1f91e.png
for you.

ugh!
barnie.gif

Have a few SFH in the incubator right now..... Ran at 40% humidity, pretty sure my air cells are still too small. First hatch ever, still have to hope for the best!
fl.gif
Even though I went against my instinct not to hatch before my birds reach the 1 year mark, and I can see my cockerels color is still changing... aside from all the developmental changes that are probably still taking place with the pullets.
hmm.png
I guess I just got excited and wanted to do a test hatch!
jumpy.gif
Maybe I will just not keep any from this hatch for my personal flock (if I get any), since they are less like to meet my breeding goal.
hu.gif

Thanks for sharing your tips!
D.gif

They do seem a little harder to hatch than a lot of other breeds. I keep my humidity around 20% days 1-18, then up to 60-65% days 19-21. I know that seems low, but if it's any higher I end up with a lot of beaks that miss the air sac by just a tiny bit and drown. That is just what works for me in this climate.

Here's a couple chicks hatched last week.

So now the 6 Swedish flowers from the new years day hatch are 5 weeks :D
red chick and yellow chickchick
green chick and blue/white chick (now changed to purple)
white chick(shipped chick, now changed to blue/green) blue chick

Back
Top Bottom