Swedish Flower Hen Thread

all of my nest boxes contain a layer of pine shavings (with a handful of cedar mixed in, keeps the creepy crawlers out) and then a layer of straw or hay on top. My Swedish flower hens have went broody and kicked the straw out and made a nest strictly on pine shavings and hatched 100% of the eggs. I don't do anything special for ours
Thanks!

Hi all.
frow.gif

I have not kept SFH for a few years, but the breed is still a favorite of mine.

Question, is anyone breeding birds for larger crests? I remember reading not many folks are breeding Crested X Crested stock for fear of making them more prone to predation, how has this worked out? On the flip side, is anyone selecting for large/fuller crests?

Also, what's this German import line I keep seeing referenced? How are the birds different from those that Greenfire brought in?

TIA for whoever has some answers.

Hi all. :frow

Question, is anyone breeding birds for larger crests? I remember reading not many folks are breeding Crested X Crested stock for fear of making them more prone to predation, how has this worked out? On the flip side, is anyone selecting for large/fuller crests?

Also, what's this German import line I keep seeing referenced? How are the birds different from those that Greenfire brought in?

the German line is simply a new line that is unrelated to any of the green fire imports.

I am not breeding crested to crested as it does enlarge the size of the crest and also give you the chance for vaulted skulls. This means the crest will be larger and also vaulted skulls generally have open areas where there is no bone leading to higher chance of head injury. I have not had any predation of my sfh. They have been very aware of their surrounding, both crested and uncrested stock.

I do not know of anyone who is intentionally breeding for larger crests as that is believed to lessen their survival chance since it impairs their overhead vision greater than a small crest.

Last edited:
the German line is simply a new line that is unrelated to any of the green fire imports.

I am not breeding crested to crested as it does enlarge the size of the crest and also give you the chance for vaulted skulls. This means the crest will be larger and also vaulted skulls generally have open areas where there is no bone leading to higher chance of head injury. I have not had any predation of my sfh. They have been very aware of their surrounding, both crested and uncrested stock.

I do not know of anyone who is intentionally breeding for larger crests as that is believed to lessen their survival chance since it impairs their overhead vision greater than a small crest.

I totally back up what Mini has said, @Jeremy. There is no reason to select for a trait that makes an excellent forager into one that is prone to predators. I like the looks of the crested when it still shows their eyes. I choose to not have any crested...so far...because it complicates which ones I can breed together. I already keep brothers and sisters and close bloodline apart and that is enough complication, lol.

Last edited:
Hi all.
frow.gif

I also won't be breeding my crested to crested for the same reasons. Aside from the fact that my crested girl got a sprig and I won't be breeding her anyways. So now I'm down to a crested boy and two non crested girls. And my crested girl actually does have too much crest for me to want to breed her as well. Both my crested were actually the friendliest of the group.

I was thinking about getting NPIP, but haven't done so yet and not sure I will since I really just wanna have fun.

I do have someone coming up from the bay area (7 hour drive each way) this spring to buy some SFH from me. I'm in Crescent City. If you really wanted some... maybe arrangements could be made.
wink.png

I haven't lost anybody to predation in my 5 years, even my free ranging silkies. But there is a first time for everything.
hmm.png

green
green again "what is this thing"?
blue/white
yellow
blue
red
white [shipped egg chick] took these this morning. These guys are 15 to 18 days old :)

what does everyone think a fair price would be for a snoleopard Cockerel around 18 weeks old. Fault free(no sprigs/split wing) good manners?

what does everyone think a fair price would be for a snoleopard Cockerel around 18 weeks old. Fault free(no sprigs/split wing) good manners?

$30

That being said, you just have to find the right buyer. When you (and if) you add shipping it raises the buyers price significantly. Sometimes you can't even giveaway roosters...whatever their breed. The snoleopard coloring is still a hot item, so I would think you could sell him. I actually know of someone in CA looking for one. You can pm me.

Well, 18 weeks still seems kind of young as some of mine didn't develop their sprigs until later than that.

But I agree, $30 would be a good price. Of course I realize that's the cost of chicks from GFF and it cost more than that to brood/raise. But as a person who just has a basic interest and isn't a hard core breeder... that would be comfortable for me to spend. More than that and I would have to really consider my goals before making the commitment. Crazy how much $30 can be to some people.

If I was actually breeding, I might spend $50. Too bad my SL boy ended with sprigs. I wasn't fond of the color at first. But then he became so beautiful and big gorgeous waddles and comb. I can see that I would have kept him just for how beautiful his waddles were and it may be something I select for in my future breeding adventures. My SL boy was a late bloomer so he was originally not favored for that. But his beauty may have outweighed it. And he was a very accurate breeder getting it right early on.

Good luck finding him a new home at a good value for you.
smile.png

Well, 18 weeks still seems kind of young as some of mine didn't develop their sprigs until later than that.

But I agree, $30 would be a good price. Of course I realize that's the cost of chicks from GFF and it cost more than that to brood/raise. But as a person who just has a basic interest and isn't a hard core breeder... that would be comfortable for me to spend. More than that and I would have to really consider my goals before making the commitment. Crazy how much $30 can be to some people.

If I was actually breeding, I might spend $50. Too bad my SL boy ended with sprigs. I wasn't fond of the color at first. But then he became so beautiful and big gorgeous waddles and comb. I can see that I would have kept him just for how beautiful his waddles were and it may be something I select for in my future breeding adventures. My SL boy was a late bloomer so he was originally not favored for that. But his beauty may have outweighed it. And he was a very accurate breeder getting it right early on.

Good luck finding him a new home at a good value for you. :)  

I'm not worried about money but don't want to go crazy with an under price/over price on him. Part of me still wants to keep him but for some reason he is terrified of me. I don't know why. No one else is that way? He isn't scared of anyone else. Strangers or my fiance. Somewhere somehow he has become scared of me.

Back
Top Bottom