Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Oh how sad about the dead pullet :(( I found a couple chicks (not my current ones) dead a few months ago, and I just about cried. It is so sad.

Bernie, I wish I could hatch shipped eggs. I would love eggs from your second group. But they won't hatch for me :( if you lived close enough, I'd go pick them up frm you! Lovely hens.

I have a vitamin/probiotic mix that I got some time back and started adding to their water. I rarely use medicated feed, only if I thnk they have coccidia

ETA: babies growing like weeds. I should be able to get photos of each tomorrow. I think I may end up with one black/white, a couple Mille fleur, one splash/light colored and a couple reddish ones. I sure hope for mostly girls. I have the one lovely rooster in the yard hanging with the bantams

ETA: actually, Bernie, I would love any eggs from any of those hens. I think they are all beautiful. I love blues and haven't gotten any yet.

Last edited:
Leahs Mom... 2 boys , 2 girls. Black & white (formally yellow) are both boys. They are beautiful !

BH - white (formerly yellow) is the one that hatched from your eggs.
thumbsup.gif

Still the largest of the whole group. And I have seen white chest bumping when younger. Haven't seen it much lately.

What are the clues that tell you that black is male?

Hi all!! Has anyone bought SFH chicks from Jordon Farms in GA, they are $13 a chick I am looking to get some more chicks I have been saving out of earnings so I can get a new blood line!
I haven't bought chicks from Richard at Jordan Farms, but I bought hatching eggs from him. He's a really nice guy, and great to work with! I'm sure you will do well with him. I would love to go out and see his place. I've heard its amazing.

Oh how sad about the dead pullet
sad.png
( I found a couple chicks (not my current ones) dead a few months ago, and I just about cried. It is so sad.

Bernie, I wish I could hatch shipped eggs. I would love eggs from your second group. But they won't hatch for me
sad.png
if you lived close enough, I'd go pick them up frm you! Lovely hens.

I have a vitamin/probiotic mix that I got some time back and started adding to their water. I rarely use medicated feed, only if I thnk they have coccidia

ETA: babies growing like weeds. I should be able to get photos of each tomorrow. I think I may end up with one black/white, a couple Mille fleur, one splash/light colored and a couple reddish ones. I sure hope for mostly girls. I have the one lovely rooster in the yard hanging with the bantams

ETA: actually, Bernie, I would love any eggs from any of those hens. I think they are all beautiful. I love blues and haven't gotten any yet.
I've read about your hatching troubles. So sorry! I really like the blues as well. I'm going to try some pairings this summer to see if I can increase some of the blues and blacks in my flock. If you have a black and white chick you may already have one. I had one little black and white chick last year, and she matured into a lovely blue hen. Here is a photo of her just hatched.

And her now at 23 weeks.

At any rate, I wish you luck!

Last edited:
I haven't bought chicks from Richard at Jordan Farms, but I bought hatching eggs from him. He's a really nice guy, and great to work with! I'm sure you will do well with him. I would love to go out and see his place. I've heard its amazing.
Ok Thank you!! I have alot of white SFH in my flock I hope some of the white coloring goes away! I have one like yours with the crest at the bottom of your pictures!!

What are some good Tennessee SFH breeders?
Hi a few breeders that might be close enough to you could be.... Contrastphoto (Gatlingburg)........Bhep (North Carolina)........Bernie56 (Georgia) Good Luck! Bernie56 just posted a bunch of pictures of his flocks on this thread......He is going to sell eggs this year!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom