Swedish Flower or Speckled Sussex Hen?

ciinkae

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
Hi All- I’m a new member and have just been given several hens from my neighbor. There is one she stated is a Swedish Flower but I’m not sure the hen isn’t a Speckled Sussex since they are more available at the local providers/breeders etc. Could you help me id this gal? She’s beautiful whatever breed she may be

Attachments

• 99D3D1A5-72E4-488F-AEA1-2D771C3FFC5A.jpeg
    99D3D1A5-72E4-488F-AEA1-2D771C3FFC5A.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 86
Looks like a speckled Sussex to me.
Thank you for writing- I am thinking that too. She told me it came from a local seller and was adamant that the hen is Swedish Flower. I’m familiar with that seller and they have been known to send the wrong breed…Especially if they don’t have the promised breed in stock…

Thank you for writing- I am thinking that too. She told me it came from a local seller and was adamant that the hen is Swedish Flower. I’m familiar with that seller and they have been known to send the wrong breed…Especially if they don’t have the promised breed in stock…
Could be a mix too. I don't think it looks quite like a purebred of either breed, but I'm not real familiar with Swedish flower.

There is one she stated is a Swedish Flower but I’m not sure the hen isn’t a Speckled Sussex since they are more available at the local providers/breeders etc
Looks like Swedish Flower to me.. their standard of perfection is quiet loose being an alleged "land race" breed and they can have yellow or white shanks, be crested or not, and come in several different color combinations.. one of them being basically a milli fleur type like what we're seeing here.

Speckled Sussex are more mahogaony in color. This I think is the most indicative factor. Genetically, it's different.

SFH are available at several hatcheries these days, I see no reason to doubt the neighbors claim. They usually lay a cream colored egg but this can vary some also.

Looks like Swedish Flower to me.. their standard of perfection is quiet loose being an alleged "land race" breed and they can have yellow or white shanks, be crested or not, and come in several different color combinations.. one of them being basically a milli fleur type like what we're seeing here.

Speckled Sussex are more mahogaony in color. This I think is the most indicative factor. Genetically, it's different.

SFH are available at several hatcheries these days, I see no reason to doubt the neighbors claim. They usually lay a cream colored egg but this can vary some also.
Thank you for writing - The bird is beautiful so happy to hear that the neighbor most likely got what she paid for. These were her first chickens. Thanks for detail about the SS being more mahogany. The eggs from this hen are brown but given the landrace history and lack of a “tight” standard, probably still a SFH.

Back
Top Bottom