Sweet PDZ or Horse stall pine pellets?

Bronx girls

Songster
7 Years
Jul 10, 2016
Hi BYC!! I Was wondering if you have used these in your coop and which one would you prefer? I currently use shavings but looking for something better especially during the winter.

Perhaps folks could better help you if they knew what you do not like about shavings AND what would make the replacement better for you?

I use shavings in the coop WITH PDZ on drop boards only. Clear, mostly dry, droppings frequently. No smell, no mess, no flies.
Everything you just mentioned about the shavings is what I din't like as I get older especially during the winter i'm looking into something that makes it easier for me to maintain on the drop boards Thank you so much!

I change my coop shavings once per year whether it needs it or not. Straight into the run, your birds will spread it for you.

I use pure PDZ Horse Stall on the drop boards. If you clean frequently it is quick/easy and usually dry because of the absorbance of the PDZ. My drop boards are 30" off the coop floor, I have a walk in coop.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I change my coop shavings once per year whether it needs it or not. Straight into the run, your birds with spread it for you.

I use pure PDZ Horse Stall on the drop boards. If you clean frequently it is quick/easy and usually dry because of the absorbance of the PDZ. My drop boards are 30" off the coop floor, I have a walk in coop.

Good luck.
^^^This^^^ except I put my shavings in the garden and till them in. Only time I get a smell is if I don't clean it in a couple of days because I am out of town. Otherwise it is cleaned daily with a scooper and deposited on the compost pile. I have sand in my run which is pretty nice too....Good luck!!

^^^This^^^ except I put my shavings in the garden and till them in. Only time I get a smell is if I don't clean it in a couple of days because I am out of town. Otherwise it is cleaned daily with a scooper and deposited on the compost pile. I have sand in my run which is pretty nice too....Good luck!!
Thank you so much for the response sometimes it;s a bit hard for me to clean it daily so looking for an alternative

Be sure and get the granular form....powder is dusty. TSC has it in 25# bags which fits perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Then just add it as needed after getting your tray like you want it. I have to add every few weeks, normally a few pounds is all.
Thank you so much I will get the bucket and the granulars.

Back
Top Bottom