When you say enough room, in the coop. Are you talking a pre-fab coop? As they are rather infamous to over- estimating what will fit.

I think you just might be happier all around, by selling those 3 bullies. If they are laying well, they will be easy to sell, and I think you would be much happier with a calmer flock. And if space is the issue, which I think it might be, some breeds just do not take a tight confinement well, getting rid of those bullies, reduces your flock. I think you would enjoy your birds much more, to get them out of there.

Mrs K
Yes, it’s prefab. About 8sqm floor space and over 7m of perches between the coop and run.

Unfortunately the bullies aren’t laying yet, but would be close at 20 weeks and their combs and wattles have all turned a nice red recently. I do wonder if the heat has knocked them all about in that respect. The days are getting shorter now so I’m hoping they’re not going to hold off until next spring now.

We eat minimum 5 eggs a day in our house which is why we were going for 7 birds but less might be the answer. We do have room to extend the run space which is on the cards but I think that action is redundant as long as I have the 3 aggressive girls.

For those that don't know ... 8 square meters equals roughly 80 square feet, and 21 feet of roost, and the OP has been a member for over two years ... ;)

To the OP ... If you were to add the new birds ... I would suggest that you try to add them at the same time (within a day or two) of when you get rid of the bullies, AND add in the recuperating chicken and buddy at the same time ... then they can all have to work out who is who ...

Established birds will "defend" their territory, Like the little bullies did ...

Ideally if you bought the new ones as "point of lay" (POL) and were to keep them in a seperate run where they could see, and been seen by the other birds (but not intermingle, or peck) for a week or two, then get rid of the bullies.

Just getting rid of the bullies will cause the apple cart to be upset as far as the pecking order goes, so if you get rid of the bullies, add in new ones, re-join the injured and buddy all at the same time ... preferably out in the yard where they have plenty of space to run and hide, but also be distracted by things in the yard, it should not be too difficult. Maybe throw some scratch around too ... if they are eating, and they all have enough to eat, they won't be chasing others.

For those that don't know ... 8 square meters equals roughly 80 square feet, and 21 feet of roost, and the OP has been a member for over two years ... ;)

To the OP ... If you were to add the new birds ... I would suggest that you try to add them at the same time (within a day or two) of when you get rid of the bullies, AND add in the recuperating chicken and buddy at the same time ... then they can all have to work out who is who ...

Established birds will "defend" their territory, Like the little bullies did ...

Ideally if you bought the new ones as "point of lay" (POL) and were to keep them in a seperate run where they could see, and been seen by the other birds (but not intermingle, or peck) for a week or two, then get rid of the bullies.

Just getting rid of the bullies will cause the apple cart to be upset as far as the pecking order goes, so if you get rid of the bullies, add in new ones, re-join the injured and buddy all at the same time ... preferably out in the yard where they have plenty of space to run and hide, but also be distracted by things in the yard, it should not be too difficult. Maybe throw some scratch around too ... if they are eating, and they all have enough to eat, they won't be chasing others.
Some interesting ideas here. I think I’ve just got a really tumultous few weeks coming up with them. The amount of sleep I’ve lost over the situation already is pretty ridiculous. I’ve moved my polish in with my injured legbar and other than the polish being a bit confused it seems ok. Given the wound on my legbar couldn’t fully be sutured due to tissue loss I think they’re going to be inside for 3-4 weeks in a very small space so I don’t know how long that will stay the case.

Tbh I’d like the bullies gone sooner than later but I think the suggestion of moving them on and introducing the new birds plus putting my others back might be the smartest move. I just don’t think I can wait another 3-4 weeks if I’m to get my preferred replacements.

Normally "integration" should take a "few weeks" anyways ... in a "look, but don't touch" environment ... this means having a seperate area for the new ones ... could be a small section of your coop or run that has some wire to make their own little area ... then in a few weeks they will know everybody, and it will go much easier.

Might be a good time to just go ahead and build the run extension ... as the injured and buddy will more than likely also need to be "integrated" back into the flock, as they have been away for quite a time ...

Glad someone is thinking and observing ;)

Wonders if this space is just the coop or overall size of coop/run combo?
@jordana can you post pics of your coop and run, inside and out?
Might then be able to suggest ways to make space for integration.

CBEC6086-BDA8-45B7-8C52-5C98E3CA1BBE.jpeg
06E08E99-31EB-46AA-AD51-E9760F4B6ECC.jpeg
6EB67774-31A0-4F80-9667-CBB05D1D4D0E.jpeg
9002E2B9-A7C7-46A6-84BE-81D527E8B0DD.jpeg
Glad someone is thinking and observing ;)

Wonders if this space is just the coop or overall size of coop/run combo?
@jordana can you post pics of your coop and run, inside and out?
Might then be able to suggest ways to make space for integration.
It’s the whole thing, I think the size is a contributing factor but I still think my original 3 are just nasty birds. I’ve moved the polish out to be with the injured one. I’m down to 5 in there and today the remaining 2 non-bully birds are looking quite picked over, in particular the other legbar is starting to look a little thinly feathered in the same region as the injured bird.

To add to the issue the injured bird is highly unimpressed by the addition to her (very small) space and has started to pick at the polish. I have no idea if I can safely leave her there but am also now unlikely to be able to reintegrate the polish.

Tbh I’m so disheartened by the whole thing I am considering whether I need to get rid of the lot and start again and get all my birds from one place at the same time. I’m just not emotionally equipped to deal with whatever their barbaric natural order of things is.

I have added some pics of the coop - the black cover is a shade cloth that stops them copping the brunt of the afternoon sun while it’s still summer.

I’d like to expand the run into the raised area around it, and that would assist with an extended/integration run situation, but I’m having trouble acquiring another hen house/nest box that will fit the space as it’s not quite rectangular. I’m not so handy to do one myself.

Hmmm....you may have to decide to keep fewer birds.
That sized space and coop is not conducive to integration.
Can you fence the whole brick wall area into a run?
May we see inside the coop?
Coop needs some ventilation too.

I see you have two tiny-tiny coops to use as isolation coops, a single bird in each.
That might help.

..and, please....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-2-25_9-4-16.png

Have updated location. I am in Canberra, Australia. It’s late summer here and as mentioned previously we’re coming off the back of a heatwave where it was 43c/110f for a week, and then 38/100 for another couple and we’re now looking at 30-35/85-95 for the coming week. Come winter we’ll get down around -12c/10f overnight and our coldest days will probably be 0c/32f.

The coop has ventilation - the chimney releases heat and there’s also a sliding window. I can’t get out to take photos inside without waking them before I leave for work but have some screen grabs. There are 3 nest boxes and 5 perches inside (3high, 2 low).

Yes, my plan is to fence around the whole brick area to extend the run. I used to keep quail for a few years, hence the small cages which are VERY small for chickens but available if necessary. Unfortunately when we moved, before we got our fence up our neighbours dog overturned the cage and that was that.

I had similar aggression issues with the quail I had except it was a roo, and once he was out of the picture all was harmony.

Attachments

• 180CF9BC-31D4-4682-ACCE-7917FB224FE7.jpeg
    180CF9BC-31D4-4682-ACCE-7917FB224FE7.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 5F471125-1206-49A8-9430-D9EEC6AF0968.jpeg
    5F471125-1206-49A8-9430-D9EEC6AF0968.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8
Some breeds tolerate confinement better than others. My coop run combo is a tiny bit smaller than yours but I only run four birds in it: BRs & BAs. While they love getting out into the larger run area they don't get nasty if they have to spend a few days in the small area. I do think space is probably a factor but despite their reputation for being great layers & the obvious fact some people get lovely birds I would never own anything with RIR in it. My experience is they do seem to have a nasty streak. I would rehome the bullies & choose more docile breeds ~ once the run has been extended.

I'm reading along because I'm about to rebuild, extended & add new birds myself & I know it could upset my present very peaceful flock so I am very interested in how you get on. :)

Back
Top Bottom