Swollen chicken face

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
Hey all,

Its been a *long* time since I posted here but I am worried about my beloved travel chicken Poupou. Poupou is a 7 year old red silkie rooster and I noticed a few days ago that the right side of his face is swollen, to the point of lifting his bottom eyelid over his eye:
20200930_104503.jpg

As you can see his brow area is raised to the point his eylid doesnt fold in anymore. The area is slightly squishy to the touch but he shows no signs of discomfort or any kind of fluid pocket or infection (That I can tell)

20200930_104547.jpg

The difference between the two sides of his face is quite distinct as you can see:
20200930_104617.jpg
20200930_104620.jpg

He is an old birdie and I have cared for him like a child for the past 7 years so naturally I am worried. Should I be concerned? He has been molting for a few months and has been sleeping while standing more often but I think hes just a little old man who needs sleep. Anybody have expereince with this?

Thanks peeps

This happened to one of my hens once. I was unsure of what or why. All I can say, is after a week or so, it went away, but she became deathly I'll and died immediately. (It was also a brutally hot day). But I'm unsure of what happened in my scenario.

I'm sure others have better words and answers for you.

It is hard to know sometimes what causes a swollen face. It is good to try and rule out a respiratory disease, such as MG which can cause sinus infection and swelling of the face. Usually, there may be another symptom, such as bubbles or gunk in an eye, nasal drainage, or crackly breathing. As @Weeg posted, sometimes a sting can cause swelling. A peck wound might also cause it, and I have seen where tumors can also affect this area.

Back
Top Bottom