swollen eye, lethargic, laying rubber eggs

You just leave it after spraying with Vetericyn. It will protect and cause the wound to seal up pretty quickly.
Pretty crazy how that just heals on it’s own! Another question—last time I isolated her she completely went nuts and stressed herself out more. Kept sticking her head through the holes irritating her eye more so I just scratched the isolation. I would assume with a giant gash on her face I have to isolate her. She is the top of the pecking order and is very dominant so I’m not super concerned with my other girls attacking her but she’s also never had an open wound on her face before!

Have you ever done this? On the threads I see theybjust cut them and leave the cut open. Wouldn’t that leave room for more infection or the other hens attacking her? How do you protect the wound?
Yeah, done it a couple of times for my friend.
Here is one that belongs to a friend of mine that I treated 12-2-2016. No wound protection needed, just returned her to the flock.

December 08 2016

Do you have Blu-kote? The incision should close pretty quickly, but you don't need the other chickens pecking at it. Dab a little Blu-kote on the incision after you see it's remaining closed and not weeping. That will protect it from bacteria as well as camouflaging it so the other chickens won't notice it.

Sick or injured chickens do heal faster if kept with their flock, especially a chicken that enjoys her flock so much. I try to keep any chicken I'm treating with the flock if at all possible.

Do you have Blu-kote? The incision should close pretty quickly, but you don't need the other chickens pecking at it. Dab a little Blu-kote on the incision after you see it's remaining closed and not weeping. That will protect it from bacteria as well as camouflaging it so the other chickens won't notice it.

Sick or injured chickens do heal faster if kept with their flock, especially a chicken that enjoys her flock so much. I try to keep any chicken I'm treating with the flock if at all possible.
AWESOME!

Gosh y’all—that was a disaster. We cut three times to try to see the pus and we couldn’t see past the bleeding. After an hour of trying to stop the bleeding/cutting more to try to get to the pus we called it. I cleaned her up, and out blukote on her and her her recover in the coop alone. She lost a lot of blood just from the face cut. I’m so disappointed and frustrated. Now the skin is just open because it’s stretched over the ball still. I don’t know what to do.

Vetericyn and blukote helped stop the bleeding. I gave her nutridrench because she seemed light headed/dizzy when she was walking. Any advice? The surgery’s and pictures I saw didn’t seem like they had a ton of blood to worry about. It surprised us.

Dangit she opened the wound and is bleeding more.

I don’t really have a photo here’s a screenshot from the video

Attachments

• 8B85C5D0-447D-48B3-B86E-65A43C73867E.png
    8B85C5D0-447D-48B3-B86E-65A43C73867E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom