Swollen Eye

chickVT

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie to chickens. I have six pullets around 22 weeks old. Four of them are Buff Orpintons, one Araucauna, and one Black Australop. They are in a chicken coop with an enclosed run and we use river sand as bedding. They eat an organic chicken feed and have water supplied at all times.
I've been taking advantage of this forum for quite some time, reading about chickens and getting prepped. Now, I've had the pullets for a week and a half and one of the buffs has a swollen eye. There is a black spot near the inflammation. Other than the swollen eye, she seems fine. I've watched her eat and drink today. I should mention, today is the first day I've noticed the eye. Yesterday, they were out "free ranging", chasing bugs and scratching around logs and bushes. Could this be a wasp/bee sting? Should I quarantine her until it goes down? I'd love any suggestions. I am posting a picture of her here.
Thank you!
ChickVT

This swelling may be a sign of mycoplasma or coryza, or another of the respiratory diseases caused by viruses or bacteria. Facial swelling is caused by the sinuses swelling. You may or may not notice other symptoms including eye drainage or crusting, nasal drainage, rattles when breathing, and sometimes a foul odor of the head. Here are 2 links to click on for info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 and http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2113/

I recently had a pullet who's eye swelled shut. It cleared after a day and went to the other eye. The 2nd eye cleared in a day and then completely went away. The only thing I can contribute it to is putting wood ash in the pen for dusting. She was the only one of six affected.

Hi! Thank you for your replies. I think we've discovered the issue. This little hen is being bullied by the group. Any suggestions?

My uncle he bought 18 week old pullets 11 brown leghorn 6 buff orphs and 1 buff had the same issue he separated the buff and put her back with them after two days and they stopped picking on her

Thank you, TJPENN. We figured out that she's been getting bullied by the other hens. We separated her and today, she is already looking much healthier.

Thank you, Chick Little. We separated her from the flock today. She seems to be regaining her strength at super speed, since doing so!

Update! 100% recovery! Now, any suggestions on the best way to get her back into the flock? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom