Swollen face/eye

roger042169

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
One of my young roos has a swollen face/eye, been that way for about a week. It hasn't gotten any worse or better. Can anyone tell me what this might be or how I should be treating it?...thanks in advance

If it is one of these diseases would the other birds also show symptoms? I have 30 birds...just can't figure out what this is or how to make it better.

What else is going on? Is he sneezing, breathing with his mouth open, moist eyes or nostrils, wheezing or rattles when breathing, low appetite, drinking water...do a full body check...any lumps, push aside the feathers and look at his skin- is it a nice peachy color and clear or have bumps or something else on them? Write down any symptom you suspect. That list will help you look through the various diseases. Do you have any other chickens having any issues- similar or not?

That is what is puzzling, he's eating and drinking and generally "acting like a chicken." He's not sneezing or wheezing. There is a small amount of discharge or "weepy" eye...which is the one that is swollen. It has a weird distasteful smell to the swollen part. I have given him some Tylan, for about a week but it has not seemed to make a difference. His skin seems fine. other than the eye I see nothing that jumps out at me.

In the picture his mouth is open and his nostrils are wet appearing. This could be a really nasty eye infection. He may need drops for it. If it smells that means there is infection present. Are you able to take him to the vet? If so- he may give you drops for it. This may seem expensive BUT bear in mind those drops can be used on other birds too. You won't likely run through the whole thing.

I've had a duck that had a minor eye infection - (not as bad as your roosters) and I did Vetericyn drops (kinda to flush it out) and literally smeared Neosporin (NOT the kind with the pain releiver it's poison to them) in his eye. It was cleared in days from that. That is what worked for me but my duck literally got his eye scratched then minorly infected - it wasn't a respiratory thing. It's something to try but if it doesn't get better you may need to take him to a vet. If it's truly just a nasty eye infection it's likely curable with some drops- I'd hate for you to lose him because of an eye infection.

Thanks bunches, I'll try that
Good luck. I hope that does helps. If not, I maybe a trip to the vet. I'd love to hear how he is doing in a couple days.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom