Swollen joint

Quackers01

Chirping
8 Years
Hi there please help

My duck has a swollen leg at the joint. I don't know what to do she's limping and is looking to feel some discomfort. I've checked on Google. And they talking about bumblefoot. I don't know if this qualifies as there are no open wounds that I see. Also I have just started with duck keeping I'm out in the country and don't know any vets close by. Is there anything I can do. On my own. To heel her leg. Without any major surgery. Will it heel on its own. I like natural. I feed natural so how do I heel naturally if so please let me know as soon as possible

Thanks a mill
Kind regards
Quackers01

Welcome, Q - if you can get a photo uploaded that would help. But we can make some guesses.

Could be infection
Could be injury
or some of each

Is it much warmer to the touch than the other joint?

Get some Epsom salt. Don't let her ingest any - it is a laxative! But soaking the leg in it may help quite a bit. These things take time to heal, so I urge you to just look at this as a marathon, not a sprint.

You can make a compress - put a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt in a quarter cup of lukewarm water, soak that up with a clean rag and wrap the rag around the leg. Hold it there for ten minutes if possible. Miss Lydia has a small flat-bottomed bucket - she makes enough E.s. solution to cover the duck's leg and holds them standing in the bucket. They cannot reach it to drink it.

If the joint or leg is much warmer to the touch, it is likely infected and antibiotics are needed. I would probably look for Duramycin. The dosages are published in a number of places including BYC. If you need more help, let me know - I need to ring off for a little while - but there are others here who can help.

Get weight off the leg as much as possible - swimming is one way to do this. Others have rigged up hammocks and slings that allow the duck to poop, but keep the weight off the injured leg.

Back
Top Bottom