swollen shut eyes, and foul smelling, running nose. Update post *50

Quote:
Thanks Hillbilly Hen.
hugs.gif
I will let you know when I am ready for them.
smile.png

Quote:
That price is outrageous. Call your state Vet department. Here is WI they will test 4 birds for under $100.00. They prefer you to bring in live birds but you can send them frozen birds. You veterinarian is charging you for culling the bird, for an office call, shipping the bird and for the necropsy. Call your state vet lab. If you don't like what they have to say, talk with someone else, ask to speak with one of the veterinarians in the pathology lab directly.

Good luck, Keep us posted. You need to get to the bottom of this and find out for sure what you are dealng with before you make such drastic decisions.
hugs.gif

Check this out. It may buy you some time to think about culling your flock.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-drinking-water-solution-12-5.html

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I read it though, and this link from the same website actually fits what is going on in my flock- http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm. I have culled almost half of my flock of around 200 chickens, by selling them as meat birds. Some of the people that have brought some chickens wants more this weekend. I am saving my favorite chickens for last. I have a 9 year old hen from my very first batch of chicks when I was 13 years old. I have been trying to think how to put her down, I am going to wait until she is the last chicken left before doing the deed.
sad.png
Oh, this is so hard!
he.gif

I'm so sorry. You must be feeling so discouraged.
hugs.gif
I have already decided that should I ever need to cull any of my birds I will use ether based starter fluid. I used it to euthanize a wild rabbit that my dog got and didn't kill. I put the rabbit in a cardboard box, sprayed a small amount of starter fluid on a rag and placed it in the box and closed the lid. The rabbit was gone in 45 seconds. It was very peaceful. No blood and no suffering. If I had it to do over again, I would do it outside. The house was full of fumes and I felt a little odd for a while. I think in the long run culling and starting over again is probably the best bet for someone in it for the business aspect. Having a closed flock when you're trying to raise poultry would just be too complicated. I hope things get easier for you soon.

I have used this a year ago to treat air sac infection, fowl cholera. Bought Terramycin powder on the internet.

Oxytetracycline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Injectible, water-soluble powder
LA-200 injectible,
Duramycin 72-200 injectible, Terramycin powder (discontinued),
Duramycin powder
Tetracyclines --Infectious Coryza in certain chickens
Mycoplasma leading to Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD)

Possibly: air sac infection, fowl cholera 1/8 tsp soluble Terramycin per cup of drinking water. Mix fresh daily for 7-14 days.
* Don't feed dairy products (yogurt, etc) within 2 hrs of Terramycin or effectiveness is reduced.
***Don't eat eggs during treatment. ***

Daron, I'm so very sorry about your situation - I know how hard you've worked and how much these birds mean to you.

I DO want to give you the VERY highest of praise for making the decision to start over...it's a tough one, an expensive one, and one that takes much time. But, I do feel like this is the very wisest decision you could possibly make.

PM-ing you!!

well===Thanks everybody===I found this topic very useful. My chickens have been sick too. And it seemed they had gape worms at first but as it turns out , they have Coryza.
Came in with new chickens from another farm.

We plan to cull every chicken that sniffles. That is soooooooooooooooo hard to do. Especially when you have favorites. My question is= If the chicken isn't sneezing or coughing or wheezing or has a runny nose or swollen eyes, can you move them to a far distance and save them from the coryza?

UPDATE
I had culled the last of my chickens this morning, and my 9 year old hen, she is all that I had left from my first flock as chicks. Before I put her in the tub to euthanize her and 14 birds, I held her for 10 minutes crying.
sad.png
I have been selling the heavy ones as meat birds, and I had found out that my Turkeys have Mycoplasma, so I had to cull them, and the ducks, and geese too.
hit.gif
Its very quiet here, no roosters crowing, hens singing the egg song, ducks quacking, and turkeys gobbling.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom