Swollen side of face, Cyst Surgery

I found another one with the same infection except it's a hen. This one was harder to do because it covered most of her eye. I had to actually cut upwards from my original horizontal cut. The cyst actually went around the side of the skull behind the beak to the nose the up across the eye. It also seemed to look like it was two pieces. I could not get it to "pop" out and had to "dig" it out over half way before it rest came out in one piece. This is my shyest hen. She is the one running away when I enter the pen. She is also the first to fly up to the very top beams inside the shed as well. I was able to catch this because she did not see me coming and I wanted to know why. There it is. I posted pictures of what it looked like before the surgery and the finished project. I did not take any pics of the "digging" as it grossed me out LOL I gave her a shot of Baytril and she is recovering inside the shed and yes right where is always goes to the top
frow.gif
so I cannot see her face nor touch her. Must mean she is happy again now
hugs.gif

100_2303.jpg

100_2317.jpg

100_2307.jpg

100_2318.jpg

100_2316.jpg

100_2314.jpg

Last edited:
Poor girl... you are a brave man! I have a strong stomach but I don't know how I would handle something like that. I guess you do what you have to for the critters, huh? I hope it heals fast!

So does Baytril work for this in your experience? And will you need to treat with that again?

Last edited:
Poor baby. You did an excellent job! I'm glad that you were able to help this beautiful bird. She is so lucky to have you to take care of her the way that you did. Frosty is right. You are BRAVE! You are a KING in my book.
bow.gif
I don't know if I could have done that.
hide.gif

I have to send you a big hug your way for the care that you provide for your animals.
hugs.gif

Keep up the good job !
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Whenever I find one like that, I never lacerate it I just give it a shot of tylan and in a few days its totally gone.

If caught early then Tylan will do the trick. If caught after the infection has solidified into mush or solid then it has to be surgically removed. The cause could be a simple infection, recurrent mycoplasma or it could have been some other obstruction of the sinus. (i.e. mash food, mud) She should heal up real good.
thumbsup.gif

Nice job again!
Hope I never have to do that!
Did you need to have someone hold her down, and did she struggle while you were doing it, or was she too ill to mind?

My roommate holds them when I have to do this. I find it easier the second time but it was digging out the cyst. It would be great to catch it when it is first starting so there is no need to cut the bird open but both times the birds are no so tame. They will not come over to me like some other do. I did notice that there are 2 other hens who chase her and jump up at her. This one looks like it started in her mouth. She has a sore (puncture) on the inside of her mouth and it went from there. She does not have a runny nose like the male did. Just the hard ball in her cheek. I do not know yet how well she will see out of the eye, we will have to wait and find out...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom