1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen side of face, Cyst Surgery

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Yoda, May 14, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

How many mg per cc is the Baytril? If it is the liquid for parrots, then I'd give 1 ml per day for 3 days

2. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Southington, CT
    Ok I will give 1cc tonight and take a picture he is healing great and so far not going blind cause he looks down at me with that eye [​IMG]

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    with a "Stink eye" stare maybe???

4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Great to hear the healing is going well. Post pictures of the healing we are all excited to see. 3 days of antibiotics is good unless you have been giving them already. If so then stop after today, as in a different post about the same subject, you want to give the birds immune system an advantage over the infection, but not wipe out all the beneficial bacteria of the bird. If you gave it just before surgery and right after for 1-2 days you are good. They heal fast and now the bird needs to just
    re equilibrate and get back to normal. Bet he is lovin looking out of that eye now!!! [​IMG]

5. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Southington, CT
    Here are some healing pictures. He is doing really good and again I do not think he will lose his sight in that eye as he keeps looking at me with it [​IMG]

Looking straight at the cut:
    [​IMG]

Looking downward at it again:
    [​IMG]

Looking from the top view:
    [​IMG]

Looking upward at the cut:
    [​IMG]

6. bird

bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Oregon
    Wow! Good job, Yoda and [​IMG] for your boy to heal fast...[​IMG]

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    [​IMG] Wow, Yoda. I am totally impressed. I pulled a thing like that out of a hen's nostril one time. It is called "plugged nare" and I had NO IDEA what I was doing.. I googled and googled and finally came across a post similar to yours on Brownegg Blueegg which described the entire procedure complete with pics and I was able to pry a huge calcified toe nail jam out of a swollen-nosed angry cochin. It was as unpleasant as it sounds but, I don't know if I would have had the guts if it wasn't for the online support.

This is a great thread and you did an awesome job [​IMG] I am positive many will be referring to this post in the future.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The swelling lump looks like it still may have some infection sitting. If you can peel off a bit of the scab at one end so the void will drain, massage it out some so it won't harden up again..... If it heals too fast on the outside it leaves the infection in. Best Wishes

9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

(Bows humbly to Yoda) I am totally impressed. You are awesome! Now that the emergency if over, how about some full body pics of that GEORGEOUS bird?

10. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Southington, CT
    Here are more pictures of him today May 30, sorry some are "cloudy" the camera was in the bedroom with the AC on and from bringing into the heat the lens fogged up [​IMG] :

He's very alert and more tame now that we went through the lump together LOL [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seems to be healing nicely [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again healing nicely [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Swelling is going away nicely so must be healing good [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again a better shot showing the swelling going away [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close up of his nice alert eye [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wisher here is a couple pics while my friend holds him, his tail feathers broke off from being in the cage [​IMG] :

Well see how tame he's got now? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually he's holding the birds legs so he can't move [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by