Swollen side of face, Cyst Surgery

I injected 1 cc of Tylan 200 ( which can be bought on amazon online ) right into the swollen area to cure completely. Just one shot. for a very similar swelling around eye. The swelling starts getting smaller in 3-4 days
Pedda if the cyst is hard it has to be removed. Tylan will not help it at that stage. This bird I am looking at still has an infection, I can tell by the way the eye looks. It looks like this bird had an infection that wrapped around the eye. It is still swollen above the eye. After all the cysts I have removed (people bring me their peas for removal) I NEVER seen one heal that way. Even the 3 year old cyst healed perfectly. If it was my bird I would open up the cheek and try to remove what I can or bring it to a bird Vet who can do it. All you have to do is look at the before and after pictures on this thread and see there is still a problem there. If it is a hard mass it will NOT just pop out through the needle hole.

Last edited:
While I agree that a Tylan injection will not help here and a trip to the vet would certainly do no harm and confirm what is going on there, I believe there is no more cyst/infection there based solely upon personal experience.

What I believe is remaining is part of the membrane that was around the cyst that has hardened into an internal scab like structure. If you have ever had a significant blister or boil lanced you will remember how the exterior skin dried into a hard mass that eventually came off. I believe the same thing is going on here internally. At least that is what I thought occurred in my case and the internal scab eventually went away. In my case it was obvious the hard pus like cyst had not formed and was still fluid. Tylan was in order to combat the infection. When I injected the Tylan the abscess or cyst or whatever you want to call it burst open and it did drain the entire sinus. After it drained there was a hardened skin mass similar to what is shown in the picture. There was no obvious pus/cyst body remaining as I could see in the wound.

Additionally, I had another bird that developed the typical sinus infection that was swollen significantly enough to stretch the skin that we aspirated with a needle prior to it becoming hard. In that case, after the aspiration, the excess skin formed into a round hard plate like shape on the side of the face. That eventually went away as well.

You could certainly open this up but you will probably not find anything other than hardened membrane and to remove it would require a complete reduction of the skin flap extended into the sharp edge. I think the reduction done by anyone but a vet would leave a significantly larger wound than the normal cyst removal surgery and would be a larger avenue for infection.

Thank you
smile.png
I used some Liquamycin 200 which is all my local feed store had, they said it is the same stuff as tylan 200. I will get some Tylan 200 ordered in case the liquamycin 200 isn't doing a good job.

Her eye is not swollen at the moment but has a very hard flat wrinkle (feels like bone) under the eye where I was told it was swollen but was popped. I'm not sure how long ago that happened. I have not seen any change in it in the 3 days I've had her.
Can't comment on how to treat this, but I can tell you that Liquamycin 200 (oxytetracycline 200mg/ml) is *not* the same stuff as Tylan 200 (tylosin 200mg/ml). I'm not positive, but I think Tylan might be the better choice for upper respiratory infections.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/liquamycin-la-200.html
http://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-200-injection.html

-Kathy

Thank you guys for the information. I agree, I think tylan 200 is the better choice. I have some ordered and on the way now and I'll call around and see if any vets near me see peafowl. Thankfully her eye has cleared up some today and the corner where it was kind of red has gone to a light pink color. I don't think it ever had a chance to turn into a hard mass, the way he explained it was that she (the peahen) popped it open and liquid came out. Probably scratching it with her foot.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on it and see if it goes away. I just do not like the corner of the eye being so stretched out like it is in the picture. Again keep us updated with pictures. If you cannot get the needle under the eye you can also inject her at the base of the neck between the shoulder blades just under the skin. Gently pull upward on the feathers till you can see them lift off the back and only inject the tip of the needle and give her the shot. I usually give a 2 day shot of 2cc/ml this way I do not have to catch her everyday.

Okay, I'm keeping a good eye on her. No noticeable change in the eye yet but it hasn't gotten any worse. I'll try to get some pictures this evening. Good idea on doing the shots every 2 days. If I have to start her back up on the antibiotics that's what I will do.

I have a problem with a peahens eye. I would be very grateful for any advise anyone could give.

I hope you won't mind me using this thread rather than start a new one. I was just given a silver pied hen and she has sagging skin under one of her eyes. It is very hard, almost feels like bone and is not flexible. I am worried it has healed this way and am hoping it is just a scab inside making it hard that will gradually heal. The man I got her from said she had popped it while it was swollen. I forgot to ask him how long ago it happened though and and have not had luck getting in touch with him to ask. I have given her an antibiotics injection and have her in the quarantine pen. She has shown no signs of sickness, no runny nose, sneezing, goop in her eyes, gurgling, weezing or gasping etc. Does anyone have any advise on what I can do and if it is normal for it to be hard while healing or if it has healed and will stay this way?

I am very worried about the corner of the eye being exposed like it is but since the loose skin has hardened I am not sure what to do about it. Does anyone have experience with this? She is such a sweetheart and I would really like to help her if possible.

Just wanted to show an updated picture of Sahara's eye. She is still not totally healed but has gotten better. I kept her in quarantine for 4 months. She showed no sign of sickness so I put her in with the others. I'm not sure you will be able to tell from the pictures but the ridge under her eye has shrunk some and has rounded off on the edges so it's not quite as jagged. Her eye is not red anymore. Sometimes it gets a little pink and I put some drops in just to be safe. That fixes it but I have the Tylan just in case it doesn't. The other birds pick on her but she seems happier in there than she was alone.

Can peacock with swollen eye transmits the disease to another peafowl? And what did make their eyes swollen?

This week i got three peacocks with swollen eye, and all of them lives in the same pen, all peafowls in the other 6 pens are fine, so i thought maybe its because they are many peafowls in this pen, or because of the mud in their pen?

Btw, i have already gave them half cc o Tylan 200 in their eye cavity.

Last edited:
That should do it. The swelling should start shrinking in 2-3 days and be gone in a week. if It persists , give another half cc of Tylan 200. AS far as my experience goes, It never spread to other peafowl. What causes, it, I read on this forum, some time back, the food particles, or dust fall on to the eye and sometimes they can not clean it. Somebody with better knowledge is out there

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom