Symptomatic hen, can't account for illness

So she can raise her head up and look around? If you suspect a reproductive disorder, I would insert a finger 1-2 inches inside her vent (wear a disposable glove if you have one,) and feel for a stuck egg. Feel her lower belly for any enlargement or tightness compared to other hens. Feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, firm, or puffy. It can be a mystery at first to figure out what is going on.

Yes she can *slightly* raise her head up and look around. Not fully though. She kind of hangs it. She's never had any reproductive issues however that doesnt mean thats not a cause of what she's going through. THe belly has no distension or hardness, no lumps or anything like that. I'm going to take @azygous advice and do another dose of tylan this evening. In the meantime I have to go outside to look for suspect things she could have ate.

Is her crop empty or full? Is she able to stand? Can you take any pictures? A little extra vitamin E may help if she has wry neck. Foods rich in E are chopped almond, sunflower seed, and scrambled chopped egg.

Is her crop empty or full? Is she able to stand? Can you take any pictures? A little extra vitamin E may help if she has wry neck. Foods rich in E are chopped almond, sunflower seed, and scrambled chopped egg.

Sure the pics are in the main post now. I have her on nutridrench, pedialyte, and sugar water right now. She's not eating yet :( Crop is normal. On just my own exam (im not a vet), she feels completely normal. She has gasped a few times.

Thanks for the pics. It helps us to see that your hen is very sick. The good news is that introduction of an antibiotic usually produces results pretty quickly, and it can definitely mean the difference between a chicken living or dying in short order.

Around four years ago, I had a couple of Cream Legbars that were just coming into lay. It was around this time of year that these two were spending most of the day happily excavating a very full compost heap where I had disposed of some molding squash. I had done my best to deposit the squash at the bottom of the pile, but had underestimated the digging prowess of Legbars.

One died a few hours after I discovered her symptoms which were very similar to your Polish. I had given her amoxicillin but it was too late for her. One week later to the day, the other Legbar came down with the same symptoms. (I hadn't put two and two together yet regarding the source of the bacteria.)

Luckily, I was early enough in discovering the second hen was sick and the antibiotic helped her improve by nightfall. After the entire round of amoxicillin, she was good as new. I'm convinced both hens were exposed to the lethal bacterium Clostridium perfringens, a dweller at the bottom of some compost piles.

With your hen, Tylan may be enough to halt the progress of the bacteria, but be ready to switch to another one if Tylan appears to stop delivering improvement after a few days. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-mox?sku=22150-174

Back
Top Bottom