Tail carriage question

coopncottage

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
Front Range
We recently brought home a blue orp pullet -- about 3 months old. My daughter would like to show her next year in 4H, but I have a question about tail carriage.

She mostly carries her tail horizontal, occasionally has it pointing down a little. Every once in awhile it's held more upright.

Is she likely to start carrying it upright more and more? Is flat tail carriage a fault? It's not a big deal if it is, we have other hens, but we really love the blue color and her personality.

We are trying to learn more about conformation. Thanks for any insight!

ETA: I think her breeder said she's from English Orp lines, if that indicates a difference in tail carriage?

Here's a photo of her:

Last edited:
She's quite young yet. I'd be willing to bet that her age, coupled with the new surroundings, are probably the primary reason for her tail carriage. I have one Ameraucana pullet I hatched here that is just shy of 4 months old and while both of her parents had a more upright tail carriage hers is almost always flat out horizontal. I'm pretty sure that it's mostly an age thing, coupled with the fact that she has nearly a dozen cockerels growing out and 6 older hens that let her know she's low on the pecking order.

I believe a flat tail carriage is a fault in orpingtons as the standard does list the correct angle for the tail. But a fault does not necessarily mean that a bird won't do well in a show. Plus, as I stated earlier she's still quite young and orpingtons tend to mature a little on the slow side.

Back
Top Bottom