Talk to me about "water witching" for a well

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gryeyes, May 11, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm buying a house on a little bit of property with a well. The flow rate from the well is a little low, and my real estate agent said she'd make an appointment for someone to come out and witch the property to see if there is a better location. To check to see iif the current location is the best. We already know the well is fairly shallow, not much more than a hundred feet.

She said it with a straight face, no hint of a wink, or skepticism.

So, talk to me about this, okay? I wanna understand how this could be a bona-fide procedure when one is buying rural, mountain property.

I am open to it if I can understand it is not all that odd to do. There's no charge for the service, and I am expected to be present for it. I do NOT want to offend anyone!

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I've seen it done, and honestly, there's nothing THAT weird about it. As I understand it, you just hold the metal rods and walk, and when they cross, you're over a water source. Apparently. No chanting or whatever.
    However, I've never heard of it being a standard procedure.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have seen utility companies use them to find pipe leaks... [​IMG]

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I've heard of it but me and the hippo aren't too sure about it.

[​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All I can tell you on the subject Linda -

My late, ex MIL was a water witch. I was skeptical when I first met her and was told of it. Then I saw her in action. She was a true water witch and she was dang good at it too. Don't miss the ex, but I sure do miss that lady.

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:This hippo makes me laugh every time!!! [​IMG]

7. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Just check out the scientific studies that have been done on it. It has been thoroughly debunked. It's good that there is no charge for the "service", but there is a charge for digging a well.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I shall be sure to report back with my observations - and any recommendations!

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    It does work. I located water lines on my brother in laws property doing it. Try it for your self and see. Anyone can do it . When I located the water lines I had never tried water witching before that and was pretty skeptical but I was a believer after the metal wires I was using crossed on their own. Pretty cool to see it happen.

10. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It most certainly does work! In fact, I'm too tired to think of it now, but there is another name for it, other than "water witching". You absolutely must try this yourself. Use an old wire hanger and bend it into an L shape. Hold the short ends loosely in your hands and watch how the long end moves on its own!! It's so much fun--you must do!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by