Tattooing birds for ID

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I have a friend with issues with chicken thieves and various ID'ing methods aren't effective (she's tried banding, toe punching, etc.)
She just got a tattoo kit for her goats.

How hard will it be to tattoo her birds?
I thought 'under the wing' would be a feather-less and inconspicous place to tattoo and easily reclaimed if they showed up at auction. Her stolen birds always end up at auction, but with bands cut off and no way to positively identify them. I don't think the thieves would think to look for an under-the-wing-tattoo.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

It's worth a try! I know with pigeons they used to stamp IDs on their primaries. But of course you can always pull those out. But I highly doubt a wingless chicken will make it far in an auction
wink.png

I think I would have to try to find something to catch them before they got my birds, maybe take a bite out of crime (dog) or Game camera taking a pic to give to the sheriff.

we use a tatto gun at work to tattoo tails with #'s--the legs resemble tail flesh-both have bones in them too so very agile hands and control are a plus!!

Quote:
Yeah- a deer camera and a shotgun might be more effective.

I agree!!! This si definitely a situation where a shotgun would do the trick, or a big scary dog.

Though it is a pretty awesome idea to tattoo birds.

On my birds ( RIR's ) we use 3 forms of identification the first form is a "dummy" leg band like this the second form of ID is a wing band like this and the third is a tattoo in the wing web..
I take a picture of the tattoo I had put in each birds wing web then load it in a "chicken ID" file on the computer. In the chicken ID file I have a picture of all the birds, there tattoo number picture, wing band number and the "dummy leg band" number..
That way you can pull up and print out all the information of a bird that was stolen and take it with you all so you have picture proof of the tattoo identification number.
Now I have to say I have never had a bird stolen (knock on wood) but Id rather be safe than sorry...

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah- a deer camera and a shotgun might be more effective.

I agree!!! This si definitely a situation where a shotgun would do the trick, or a big scary dog.

Though it is a pretty awesome idea to tattoo birds.

I believe the type of theft being discussed is from shows, not from the backyard.

I believe the type of theft being discussed is from shows, not from the backyard.

That's just AWFUL. It must take some nerve & desperation to steal from a venue like that. I mean- really- how much money can they actually make selling a bird with no evidence of lineage?

There are a few people near us that are always at flea markets/yard sales selling lots of stuff. It's obvious that all of their items were stolen from other people's yards- hoses, grills, kids riding toys, sprinklers, lawn chairs.....Makes me sick.​

Back
Top Bottom