Tax Preparation...who to go to?

What are you people doing that costs over 100 bucks with H & R block? We have a business, w2s, 1099s, deductions, loan interest- the whole deal for under 40. I think you're getting ripped off.
tongue.png

You just need your w2s and receipts for anything you want to deduct like loan interest, donations, business expenses& IRA. The great thing about doing it online is that you can save it and come back and finish later if you forgot/misplaced something.

Quote:
Well, I am a Manager for Jackson Hewitt and the RAL is a bit pricey. But, there are other options, if your not interested in getting a fast refund.

Some people do not mind paying the expensive fees and others do.

However, it is very simple to prepare your own taxes, especially if you are only preparing taxes on W-2s. I like TaxAct, it's a good software to use. I prefer it over TurboTax.

The $100 isn't going to help you out that much, maybe not at all, but the if you have a large amount of medical bills, that can reduce your liability. It will be determined by your gross income, you have to have a certain percentage of your Gross Income before it will be of any benefit.

You can use Turbo Tax for free to file your Federal Return, you only have to pay for the State Return.

I use Taxcut. Last year our local paper ran an article comparing the results between the software (TurboTax and TaxCut) versus a professional tax preparer. All in all, the software gave as good or better results than the professional tax preparer and for a lot less money. The programs are self explanatory and easy to use.

I do my own taxes and we have the farm and it does get complicated. I have used Turbo Tax for years, it walks you through step by step and with E-file it is great. I do opt to purchase their offered audit protection , it is a cheap insurance policy.

Quote:
What other papers do I need? Don't I only need the W-2s?

You probably just need your W-2's since you're young without kids or a house, yet.

If you had a savings account, the interest it earned is taxable. I think mine earned about $0.08 last year.
gig.gif
You can get the ytd interest on your Dec bank statement.

Back
Top Bottom