Teenage Chicks Accepted by Flock :) Pictures!

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
My 9 week old chicks have finally been accepted by my big girls! This is their first night where they were allowed to roost :) They've been through look-dont-touch and separated with a 'chick escape hatch'. This is their 7th day with no barrier and their first day not sleeping in a little pile on the floor. Two are on the coop walls, but whatever works! So happy! They've been getting much better at foraging and are now super excited to get out of the run to play. The two flocks still forage separately, but maybe in time they will blend?

Just wanted to share my happy night!

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 31
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 27
My 9 week old chicks have finally been accepted by my big girls! This is their first night where they were allowed to roost :) They've been through look-dont-touch and separated with a 'chick escape hatch'. This is their 7th day with no barrier and their first day not sleeping in a little pile on the floor. Two are on the coop walls, but whatever works! So happy! They've been getting much better at foraging and are now super excited to get out of the run to play. The two flocks still forage separately, but maybe in time they will blend?

Too cute! :love Good for them. I'm sure they will be one big happy flock before you know it.

Great job! How exciting! I always love seeing little ones roost next to big ones. I used a "chick barrier" method too, only mine were brooded in the coop so they ended up roosting at 4-5 weeks. They're almost a year old now, and even though everyone gets along fine, they still hang out in their original little group sometimes.
roost-brooder.jpg

Awesome!
Had one group of chicks take to the main roost at 6 weeks.
A few nights after this pic I was 'missing' one at head count,
she was nestled down between 2 of the big birds.
They were the 'bravest' group yet, also the noisiest at POL.
full

Great job! How exciting! I always love seeing little ones roost next to big ones. I used a "chick barrier" method too, only mine were brooded in the coop so they ended up roosting at 4-5 weeks. They're almost a year old now, and even though everyone gets along fine, they still hang out in their original little group sometimes.
View attachment 1726801
So cute!!

At nine weeks old that is fabulous. I've had some broody-raised chicks do that after the broody weaned them but my brooder-raised chicks typically wait a lot longer before they roost with the bigs. Roosting on the wall isn't that strange either. I had some 2 week old chicks wind up on top of the narrow side of a 2x4 when Mama told them to roost. The next night they made it all the way up to her. Yours on the flat side of the 2x4 may sleep there a while, who knows. That's just part of what makes chicken TV better than anything on cable, satellite, or antenna.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom