Tell me about my new rooster, please.

cricco

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 27, 2014
I just picked up my new rooster. He's a one year old Silver laced Wyandotte. His name is Rocky. I was surprised at how mellow and friendly his is. I rescued him from a home where roosters are not allowed, per town code. When I got home, I put him right in the run. The ladies, (6 Tetra Tints), who are about 13-14 weeks old, slowly came out to greet him. I was nervous as heck, expecting a fight. Fortunately, there was one very brief altercation with my big hen over some food, and a quick peck when a hen inspected and pecked at his waddles. That was it. He crowed for 15 minutes, and now they are all comfortably hanging out together. Did I get lucky? Is this the perfect rooster breed? Here is a picture of Rocky, just as we arrived to rescue him.

reny7uha.jpg

He is still young - minimal spur development, but hopefully he will remain mellow as he matures. He's a beauty.

Anyone know how long I should leave him in the run before allowing him out with the pullets? He doesn't seem interested in them, and the seem to avoid him. I just want them to return to the coop together. Where my hens aren't mature, I don't think he is "drawn" to them.

Wow. Big changes in this scene! Rocky has now started biting tails and preventing my girls from getting food. So I have put food and water outside the coop, and shown Rocky the door. Literally. He now free ranges all day and when I let him back in the coop in the evening, after the girls have settled. I feel bad that he's lonely all day, though he does seem content. ******. I thought I hit the jackpot.

Is it normal for my Roo to chase hens and peck at their tails? He hasn't hurt them, but they seem to avoid him constantly.

Back
Top Bottom