Tell me about your Jumbo Brown quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iajewel, Jan 17, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    How are Jumbo browns different from other quail? I just bought some eggs so.. I have 30 days to learn about them and not finding much on google

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They mature in 6-8 weeks, need a high protein diet, and lay like crazy.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:The sticky at the top about quail IS your friend.... And you most likely have less than 30 days, 3-4 shipping and 17-18 incubation = 22 dayS and YOU HAVE FUZZY BUTTS!!! Better put a wiggle in gett'in the bator and brooder lights and tubs out... Your gonna have a BIG time !!! Expect about 1\\2 your eggs to hatch BTW. Bill

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

and with that many eggs A HUGE STINK in your house till the chicks are feathered out and can go outside .....lol

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I prefer the garage or shed.[​IMG] Here are some pics of Jumbo Browns.
    [​IMG] Hen
    [​IMG] Rooster
    Tibetan Chick
    [​IMG]

6. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I live in Iowa.. so a long time before they can go out.. joy.. 17-18 days huh.. ok.. well how many of the large tubs will I need? I have 3 and quite the collection of heat lamps. If I split them up and change bedding often.. that should help. any suggestions on bedding? I will check out the sticky.. by the way those pics were awesome. Makes the thought of stick worth it. I have wanted quail for a long time, just never jumped off that cliff, now with the price.. Im jumping.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You will need 2 or 3 tubs depending on size. I use pine shavings, but aspen or towels work well too.

8. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    What sucks is I have a wonderful brooder .. OUT SIDE.. where it is only good March -first frost. This will be in the house as its to cold even with lights out there in the brooder building.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:COTURNIX ARE COTURNIX NO MATTER THE COLOR

COTURNIX DIFFER IN MANY COUNTLESS WAYS FROM NEW WORLD QUAIL SPECES SUCH AS VALLEY OR BOB WHITES

FOR BASIC COTURNIX SEE THE STICKY AT THE TOP SECTION HERE

10. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I read through the whole sticky.. followed every link.. GREAT info.. thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by