Tell Me This Is Not CL

That's the main reason I'm getting out of goats. I can't take all the health problems. They always seem to be trying to find ways of dying. It's also near impossible around here to find a vet that knows or sees goats, so that's discouraging as well. A good vet is priceless.

Get a clean herd and keep it clean is my advice.

That's the main reason I'm getting out of goats. I can't take all the health problems. They always seem to be trying to find ways of dying. It's also near impossible around here to find a vet that knows or sees goats, so that's discouraging as well. A good vet is priceless.

Get a clean herd and keep it clean is my advice.
You may enjoy this story. I took a sheep to a vet and the vet told me that sheep were funny. He said that he and another idiot (his words) decided to raise some sheep to raise money for vet school. He swore sometimes the sheep would go out and look around and say, "My, what a beautiful day. I think I'll die" and then do so. He said sometimes they could determine the cause and sometimes they couldn't but he did say their sheep raising venture was a bust.

You may enjoy this story. I took a sheep to a vet and the vet told me that sheep were funny. He said that he and another idiot (his words) decided to raise some sheep to raise money for vet school. He swore sometimes the sheep would go out and look around and say, "My, what a beautiful day. I think I'll die" and then do so. He said sometimes they could determine the cause and sometimes they couldn't but he did say their sheep raising venture was a bust.
I only kept a few sheep, they were definitely more challenging than goats. :)

I believe she is trying to get a sample from the abscess and coming up dry?
Any veterinary office ought to be able to run a bacterial culture to find out what bacteria is causing the abscess. When I had my goats I didn't care what was causing the abscess. I treated all abscesses the same.

@cassie
I'll send a PM when I can.

Contacted seller, and she has ability to quarantine her there. So off she goes for now.
I presume step 1 is abscess drain and send to lab, something I have 0 experience doing.

When she arrived I noticed her udder area had a crusty oozy thing going on. 0 pics online or literature about such a condition. Posted on BYH and only really had one response thinking it could by lymph on overdrive. I figured treat with good minerals and supplement.
Now I'm worried it was nasty CL the whole time, spreading all over every goat surface.
My rejected baby got milk from the same farm.

Only "cures" I saw online were started with an $850 lab analyses to develop a vaccine of sorts.
This may or may not make you feel better. CL is spread primarily by exposure to pus from a draining abscess. Essentially, no pus, no spread.

I personally have such a whirlwind of things happening, leaving short replies.
We have a problem of vets in my area. Most vets only do cats and dogs. There are a few livestock vets I found on Google but there is a minimum $120 charge just to step on my property. As I did ask them aboutrunning tests before, we're talking a solid $460 quote.

Excuse my French, but that's bull****
I've learned how to perform all sorts of things on my creatures thanks to sites such as this. I do know of several labs that I can send blood to for tests. What I cannot seem to find is one that takes culture samples. They clearly exist, since many smaller vets don't do that in house and send it out.
Just read through Merck Vet page and relieved myself slightly that there can be a good 5 or so things other than CL presenting the same. The culture sample is of utmost importance however, or we'll never know.
This is coming at a time where I cannot yet add another pasture, I have a doe and 2 kids to sell, and a third baby drinking raw milk from potentially infected sources. The flame is getting hot.

Back
Top Bottom