Tell Me This Is Not CL

I think a vet should be able to tell the difference between CL and a regular abscess. I've dealt with CL. It's a nasty thing I wish I never knew about.

@cassie
I'll send a PM when I can.

Contacted seller, and she has ability to quarantine her there. So off she goes for now.
I presume step 1 is abscess drain and send to lab, something I have 0 experience doing.

When she arrived I noticed her udder area had a crusty oozy thing going on. 0 pics online or literature about such a condition. Posted on BYH and only really had one response thinking it could by lymph on overdrive. I figured treat with good minerals and supplement.
Now I'm worried it was nasty CL the whole time, spreading all over every goat surface.
My rejected baby got milk from the same farm.

Only "cures" I saw online were started with an $850 lab analyses to develop a vaccine of sorts.

The nasty part of CL is when abscesses are internal. In my experiences and the reading I have done on it, is it is considered one of the chronic wasting diseases in goats. It isn't always internal, but when it is that's when it causes the most problems. It than can be spread by goats coughing, or drainage out of the nose. The internal one is more common in sheep but it does occur in goats as well.

I personally took it more seriously. I guess it all depends on the strain.

You may enjoy this story. I took a sheep to a vet and the vet told me that sheep were funny. He said that he and another idiot (his words) decided to raise some sheep to raise money for vet school. He swore sometimes the sheep would go out and look around and say, "My, what a beautiful day. I think I'll die" and then do so. He said sometimes they could determine the cause and sometimes they couldn't but he did say their sheep raising venture was a bust.
I only kept a few sheep, they were definitely more challenging than goats. :)

Back
Top Bottom