Tell Me This Is Not CL

I live in a primarily agricultural area. I just assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that having cultures done is easy and routine. Since I no longer have livestock, I have no idea how much a farm call costs here. That said, you can pasteurize the milk. I never fed raw goat milk to my kids, not because of CL, but because of Pasteurella and CAE. All you have to do is heat it to I believe 165 degrees for a few seconds but you might want to check that. It might be 170. It has been many years since I have had to pasteurize milk. When I had cows I could just give the baby kids the raw cow milk and the calves got the raw goat milk and I didn't have to pasteurize any milk. Unless the doe has a CL abscess in her udder, it is unlikely she will transmit CL in her milk to a nursing kid. At least I never had that happen. Every case of CL I ever had in my goats could be traced back to exposure to pus from a draining abscess.
I said I pasteurized milk because of Pasteurella. I meant mycoplasma.

Aargh, now what is THIS?!

5 day old bottle baby.
Does not fit description of anything like a milk goiter. Too young for CL. Not really near a lymph node anyway. Almost blue looking under skin.
Tried to get good pics. Boy was she mad about it.

Attachments

• 0204202242a.jpg
    0204202242a.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 0204202241a.jpg
    0204202241a.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 6
It looks like CL. However, no matter what ANYONE tells you, and that includes your vet, CL really isn't all that big a deal. It can be controlled and eradicated. It does take persistence and commitment, however. When I started breeding goats in the late 60's many herds, including mine were infected with it. You could not go to a show of any size without seeing a goat or two with abscesses. I managed to get rid of CL and the other breeders I know did it too, and we didn't cull CL positive animals either. If you need or want detailed instructions on how to deal with CL, contact me. By the way, the most important thing about controlling the spread of CL is to make sure a ripe abscess doesn't rupture in the barn or corrals where other animals can contact the pus. If you want to know how to lance abscesses so you don't expose other goats I can tell you that, too. I did write up instructions on how to deal with CL and I can send a copy to anyone who wants it. Everything in there has been field tested in multiple herds by multiple breeders. Meaning by doing what it says we got rid of CL and it never came back.
I would like more information on CL absesses. Please send me a pm.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom