Temp in my bator :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Apr 23, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Hi all - well my new Hovabator is going really well, I was worried it would have wild temp swings cos I really didn't have a suitable place to put it but I've found the most temp stable room in the house and have gotten over my fear of burning the house down so now my question is - my temp tends to swing about 1 degree (not 5 like i expected) but I'm having a little trouble making it swing over the ideal temp. What I mean is would it be preferable that it swings from 99-100, or 99.5 to 100.5?
    Any opinions would be appreciated, and I'm off to calibrate my hygrometre now too [​IMG]

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I don't think it matters much. That's not really a swing, from what MY

incubator can do. [​IMG] If you do not have a fan, though, it's recommended

you keep the eggs at 102 F. If you do have a fan, your temps are perfect.

[​IMG]

~ScissorChick

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    for the last week my hova has been swinging from about 99.2-100 I just hatched 19/20 quail eggs yesterday seems close enough to me, the only thin I do is to add water every coupla days. I kina check temps now and then but I leave it alone more then anything else LOL

4. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Thanks guys - I'm actually pretty surprised as I thought it would be all over the place, but it does have a fan and the highest the temp has been 101.3 and that was because it accidently caught the morning light from the window. I am now desperate for some fertile eggs. The ones I used to test and stabilise the temperature with I'm almost certain weren't fertile. God help my OH when I get a hold of some ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by