Temperature Question

ChloBug

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2019
While I am not hatching eggs now, nor do I think I will be any time soon, I read about something before and I was curious as to if it was true, and how it worked if it was true.

I saw that one way to get pullets vs cockerels was the incubation temperature. I have since been unable to find the article, but it said something about how raising the temperature would result in males, lowering the temperature would result in females, and having it at the middle or"normal" temperature would result in both.

Is this true? I've had a hard time finding information about it. Does anybody know where I can find information on it, as I'm quite curious as to how this works!

I just googled it real quick, I don't have a subscription to this website so I haven't read it myself. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/a-drop-in-temperature-can-change-the-sex-of-chickens-1238516.html

Based on my own hatching experience, I don't think it's true. Chicken genders are based on genetics not temp. if it does by chance affect the embyo it would be a mutation that would likely prevent reproduction in the offspring.

Thank you very much! I'll definitely read more thoroughly. My assumption was that the females (or males) would hatch and the other eggs just wouldn't. This is very interesting!

I had heard of it before, but never tested it. Running a homemade incubator just at temp was hard enough. And the store bought one i eventually got said specifically not to mess with the temps unless it was way off.

Back
Top Bottom