Temperature varies from 36 °C (96.8 °F) to 39 °C (102.2 °F) in my homemade incubator! Will I have a good hatch?

drdn

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2019
Hello!

I've made an incubator and I've placed 39 eggs in it 8 days ago. The problem is that the temperature is different in different spots of the incubator. In one spot the temerature shows 36 °C (96.8 °F), another spot it shows 38 °C (100.4 °F) and another one above 39 °C (102.2 °F)!

The heat source of the incubator are two light bulbs that don't have direct sight with the eggs and I have also installed a fan to circulate the air.

I've candled the eggs yesterday and I can see that there is some development. In your experience, what do you think? Is there any chance to have baby chicks hatched or this is not possible with this temperature variation?

Thank you!

I think it might be possible, but very reduced chances? If they are still alive there’s always a chance!
Troubleshooting - make sure your thermometers are calibrated. Are you using a thermostat-highly recommended unless you can hover over the incubator all day. Is your fan positioned well enough to circulate the hot air? Is it big enough for the size of your container? Can you rotate the eggs around the incubator? Ventilation adequate? I’m sure there’s other things I’m forgetting for consideration...

I think it might be possible, but very reduced chances? If they are still alive there’s always a chance!
Troubleshooting - make sure your thermometers are calibrated. Are you using a thermostat-highly recommended unless you can hover over the incubator all day. Is your fan positioned well enough to circulate the hot air? Is it big enough for the size of your container? Can you rotate the eggs around the incubator? Ventilation adequate? I’m sure there’s other things I’m forgetting for consideration...
Yes, I'm using a thermostat, but I'm also checking the temperature with another thermometer in different spots.
The fan is positioned close to the light bulbs, under the eggs and not facing the eggs directly. I didn't do a lot of research about the positioning so if you can give an advice for best position of the fan that would be awesome!
I didn't fully understand the question: "Can you rotate the eggs around the incubator?". I've made a window that I can open on top of the incubator so I can rotate them easily.
I don't know exactly the size of incubator since I'm not at home at the moment, but what is ideal size for that number of eggs?

Any adivce you can give me would be much appreciated! Thank you for your reply!

I don’t know a ton, but I did make an incubator last year so I can tell you what I did. The problem with mine is maintaining humidity, especially at lockdown. Temp has seemed to be fine for mine though. My bulbs are on one side of a tote with the fan positioned in front of the toward the top. My thought was it would blow the hot air from the bulbs, hit the other side and circulate down (cuz hot air rises). I have multiple small thermometer/hygrometers around the eggs in different places. The thermostat probe is in the middle of the eggs. I incubate upright in cartons and tilt them 3 times daily. When I say positioning, I was thinking of shifting the eggs around periodically so they don’t all stay in the too cold or too hot spots all the time. I’ll see if I can find the link to the thread about my ‘bator.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-incubator-questions.1394395/

Hope something here is helpful!!

I don’t know a ton, but I did make an incubator last year so I can tell you what I did. The problem with mine is maintaining humidity, especially at lockdown. Temp has seemed to be fine for mine though. My bulbs are on one side of a tote with the fan positioned in front of the toward the top. My thought was it would blow the hot air from the bulbs, hit the other side and circulate down (cuz hot air rises). I have multiple small thermometer/hygrometers around the eggs in different places. The thermostat probe is in the middle of the eggs. I incubate upright in cartons and tilt them 3 times daily. When I say positioning, I was thinking of shifting the eggs around periodically so they don’t all stay in the too cold or too hot spots all the time. I’ll see if I can find the link to the thread about my ‘bator.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-incubator-questions.1394395/

Hope something here is helpful!!
Thank you for your advice!
Actually, I like the idea of shifting the eggs around and I might try it.
I will keep you updated if they hatch/not hatch!

3 degree different is too big. If you can add fans to make temperature more even it is better

3 degree different is too big. If you can add fans to make temperature more even it is better
I have a fan installed, but not sure it is in the perfect position. I will attach an image containing a map of the incubator I created with paint (hopefully you can understand it).

Attachments

• incubator-map.png
    incubator-map.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 65
@ladybrasa First chick is almost there and there are 2 more pips. Today is day 20!
I'm so excited!!!

Attachments

• 20210401_231359.jpg
    20210401_231359.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 60

Back
Top Bottom