Temporary rehoming?

GretasFlock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, feel free to move it if needed.

So recently, the possibility has arisen that we may need to move to an area that will only allow us 2 chickens. We have a flock of six. :( We all love these chickens to death, so I have been wondering if it is ever possible to temporarily re-home our hens until we can get back into a situation where we can own them again. We're not even sure if we are going to move at all, but it would either dismiss or confirm the idea that we will need to permanently re-home them.

Basically what I am asking is if you guys think there would be anyone who would take six egg laying hens with the possibility of returning them to us someday?

Thanks!

All you can do is ask. Do you have any friends or relatives that could take them? Are you willing to pay for the feed and upkeep so it wouldn't burden whoever took them for you? If you can find someone, your chickens will adjust and be fine.

Thanks for replying. :)

I realize it would be on a case-by-case basis, I was just curious if it's ever done.

I have seen ads on Craigslist in my area and folks are "renting" out their hens and a chicken tractor. People pay to have the hens hang out with them for a period of time and they get to keep the eggs and have the benefit of chickens eating the bugs in their yards!

That's a neat idea. I'll keep that in mind, it sounds like a nice option if needed.

I have seen ads on Craigslist in my area and folks are "renting" out their hens and a chicken tractor. People pay to have the hens hang out with them for a period of time and they get to keep the eggs and have the benefit of chickens eating the bugs in their yards!
Definitely an interesting idea. I might be hesitant, though. I wouldn't know if my flock would be going someplace where there had already been other chickens that may have had parasites or disease that mine could pick up, or how knowledgeable the people are about chickens or what kind of care they would get. Not trying to discourage you, but that was the first thing that came to mind. If you knew they'd be going to a good temporary home, that would be great. And they would be paying you for the privilege of taking care of your chickens.... Why didn't I think think of something like that??

You are absolutely right Bobbi! I was laying in bed thinking about that last night and asked mysef "would you rent out the girls?" Nope! So although I posted that trend... when I think about all that could go wrong... for me personally... wouldn't be an option! Guess I didn't think that through very well! It remains an option for folks who are comfortable with it, but you brought up good points!

You are absolutely right Bobbi! I was laying in bed thinking about that last night and asked mysef "would you rent out the girls?" Nope! So although I posted that trend... when I think about all that could go wrong... for me personally... wouldn't be an option! Guess I didn't think that through very well! It remains an option for folks who are comfortable with it, but you brought up good points!
Hey, Pixie
welcome-byc.gif
I wasn't trying to be critical - those things just came to mind when I read it.

I would consider taking in someones birds on a temporary basis, but there would certainly have to be some mutual and written understandings... If I was taking in the birds I would want a waiver of all loss, there is simply too many things that can happen even in the best of situations and with this a responsibility of the 'owner' to cover any veterinary bills associated with their birds if something does happen... Also I would want the I'm taking them back on this day or or I forfeit them to you, date as I would not want to get stuck caring for chickens that are not longer producing...

Also at least for me I already have enough eggs from my own, so there is little compensation to be made from their eggs vs what they cost to feed and care for, so I would probably ask for some monthly feed compensation...

I know the above might sound harsh, but lets face it, unless they are some highly sought after purebred, a few extra laying hens are only a few dollars worth of bird (excluding any emotional attachment) and simply not worth the headache or potential liability or even hassle of someone blaming or accusing me of something for what amounts to me helping them out or doing them a favor... I have seen it way too may time when someone helps another out and due to circumstances out of their control becomes the villain, no good deed unpunished...

Back
Top Bottom