Tennessee

I live in West Tennessee 140 miles west of Nashville and about 120 miles east of Memphis. I have several girls and maybe two boys. My oldest boy is moulting and looks so pittiful. I keep telling my DH that he must secure the new cage we put up this summer because the predators are worse when the cold weather starts. And it is supposed too be really cold over the weekend or starting tomorrow night I think.

Mother Nature seems very disturbed with us here this year
idunno.gif
.We did get the May flood I was stuck on my island
sad.png
We own a hill. This time though my dog was about to die and she had to wait to go to the vet after the storms blew through-not risking my kids and myself out driving on these back roads in those storms.She came home yesterday but still may not make it.For 10 days all she can eat is scrambled eggs and chicken with rice wonder where I'm going to get enough eggs to feed a big dog
lau.gif
no really my hens are molting so they are limited..trip to walmart
duc.gif
save the good eggs for my customers

Thanks..right now I have about 3 dozen old ones I can't sell so I'm going to use them up(unless they happen to be fertile FBCM then I would pay well for them) and maybe by then she will eat some chicken..right now I can't get a bite down her of anything.Made her some egg drop soup this morning with chicken broth and she snubbed it..now if I were allowed to feed her raw eggs she would without a doubt eat those.One would think with a few hundred chickens eggs wouldn't be a premium.Price of feed skyrockets and they go on vacation
rant.gif
.Even building them new housing.
I have several Free EE and Ameraucana Roos available now if anyone needs some! Black AM roo is all grown rest are kids about fully feathered.Lots more Free roos-bantam Ameraucana and Cochin mostly.

I don't have anybody separated right now but hopefully in the next month I will. Got to get some fencing done them I will have BCM, GCM, and BB&S Marans, working on some Blue Marans. I have a trio of Bantam EE's for sale and several different kinds of banty roo for free if anybody is interested. Holly I hope your dog is better soon almost as bad as having kids sick.

Storm swept chickies, sick puppies...so sorry to all! We went to buy wood to build our nesting boxes today
ya.gif
one step closer to chickville! spent some hours reading here (again, lol) and getting more concerned for our plans. We are renovating 2 stalls of a shed (about 10'x14') into our chicken home, and the more I read, the more complicated the project seems - like it would be easier to start from scratch, ya know? sigh. Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run!

As for me not liking eggs, hubby is convinced that once I taste a 'farm fresh egg' I'll change my mind, but mostly I just don't like them by themselves. Except....as a child...nothing was finer than a lovely runny yolk dipped up with a piece of white bread
droolin.gif
then dad started making me eat the white, and mom heard that undercooked eggs were bad for you, so then I started hating eggs
tongue.gif

Hope everyone has a lovely night and wakes to find lovely eggs and healthy chickens tomorrow!

About 3:30 am this morning I heard a crash in the shed and went to investigate. I found the same cage in the floor again. Third time, but this time I also saw what caused it. A stray cat has been pulling what it could through the bars and eating on the quail then ended up pulling the cage off the table. And always injured other quail. I found one with it's head gone in another cage. So today I switched cages and I wrapped the 2 cages that the cat can get at the quail and secured the wrap with wire to the cages. The cages are on top of each other. (they both have trays so nobody is getting pooped on) That cat won't be getting anymore quail, I hope. There are still cages that are uncovered but one is entirely made out of the 1/2" mesh and the other two hold Bob Whites in one and adults in another. I can hardly catch the Bob Whites when I have my arm in the cage. I'm sure that cat won't be able to get to them. There is a light on in there so they can see it coming. We've got to get a door to put up so it can't get in there anymore.

They are finally getting big enough for me to process so I just need them to grow up so I can put them in my freezer instead of the stray cats tummy. We haven't lost very many since they all hatched but since that cat has been getting in there, we've lost probably a dozen or more in the past week. I processed 13 tonight and in about a week i'll do some more. I'm picking out the ones I plan to keep as they grow. I'm keeping most all my Texas A & M's till I know which are hens and which are roos. I'll pick out my breeders then the rest go to freezer camp. I've got 6 now that are close to breeding age. Another cage with more are about half way there then there are several in the grow pen that haven't gotten many feathers yet so they have a ways to go.

I have some really pretty chicks (chickens) that are in their grow pen and several EE eggs in the incubator along with a few Production red eggs.

Hope that kitty stays away! I love your lingo, Vickery: freezer camp
lau.gif
that's great! Yeah, I want to try raising quail someday, but I haven't got my first bird yet! DH is starting to come away to my way of thinking, just overheard him on the phone with his mom saying, "well I wanted Delawares, but now I'm thinking we need one of everything.."
celebrate.gif
I hollered yay loudly at that
smile.png
and his momma just cackled. I will draw the line at peacocks though - I girls gotta have some limits. Besides, I bet their eggs don't even taste that great.
tongue2.gif

just found a Chicken magazine at wallyword yesterday put out by Hobby Farms, and it looks real good. any of you seen it?

I haven't seen that cat but I did find a few remains of a small quail that must have gotten out when my gack was turned yesterday. I changed cages and cover them up real good at night. I just hope it don't come in the day time when they are uncovered.

A change of subject:

I have an auction for some EE eggs right now and I just had 7 eggs hatch yesterday. I put 7 in and they all where fertile and all hatched. That is a first, the all hatching that is. Here is a pic of the chicks. The duck and yellow one of course aren't EE's but the other 7 are. I'm hoping somebody will go and bid on the eggs. They will go in my bator if nobody does.
spictures018.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-10-30

I almost lost a cage full of quail. Talk about a flood. I thought Noah and the ark were history.
lol.png
I had to drag em all the way up to the porch.

Back
Top Bottom