Tennessee

Wow this list is quiet. It has been a bit since I have been online as I am away from home and down with a real nasty head/chest cold. I do not wish this on anybody it is that bad. Sorry to hear about everones damge from wind storm I got told we had none. Welcome to all our new TN chicken folk.

I can not wait to get over this thing and get back home. My neibor tells me that my 2 roosters have finally taken over the flock and all the hens now follow them. But we have no eggs. I need to reset up nest boxes with fake eggs and clean coop out an set up right for winter. This will stink if I have to buy eggs for holiday baking.
roll.png

Still downsizing up a storm over here. Bantam Cochins are still on the chopping block. Anyone want a cute little partridge pair, an extra gold laced boy with a red girl or a barred girl with an extra gold laced boy? I don't have any gold laced girls, sadly. Could also part with a frizzle hen with gold laced boy instead. 1 black frizzle, 1 white frizzle available!

If someone wanted to pay big bucks, I have an extra mottled pair. Or rather, an extra mottled rooster and will pick one of my mottled girls to pair up with him.

Quote:
ya.gif
I want them all, I want them all, me me me me me ! what are they?
lau.gif

and I spose driving across state for chicks when I don't have a coop built would be counterproductive. oh, man, I can't wait til hubby gets our set up ready!!!! He works nights, and we try to be good neighbors so it kinda limits the hours he has to build things
sad.png
I know he is as anxious as I am because this morning I caught him looking at real estate, and whereas b4 he would never look at a house over 7yo, he called me in to look at a 1976 property. The selling point? 3 "workshops" that looked like ready-made adorable chicken coops. I don't know who owned the place, but I think they were trying to create a small Bavarian village.

We have just under 2 fenced acres for free range, 10x16 barn area being renovated for coop, and a large lust for chickens, lol. I want to try several varieties (all must have good behavior, want to see some pretty color eggs), several different ages (so I don't wind up with 20 for the stew pot at once), and (what I feel is priority) no more new ones at one time than I can get acclimated to human contact. I don't want my food to be my best friend, but I would like to be able to handle the birds and have them recognize me. I hope to make each one comfortable enough that I can approach it w/o it running off in a snit, and that it will learn to come to me for food/treats/penning up at night, etc. does that seem unreasonable? I think getting 5-7 at a time would be good, til I get up to about 50ish, over the course of a year or so? maybe that would also help keep the "pecking order" from getting too established, idk. then again, that's why I'm here - to learn!

Quote:
ya.gif
I want them all, I want them all, me me me me me ! what are they?
lau.gif

and I spose driving across state for chicks when I don't have a coop built would be counterproductive. oh, man, I can't wait til hubby gets our set up ready!!!! He works nights, and we try to be good neighbors so it kinda limits the hours he has to build things
sad.png
I know he is as anxious as I am because this morning I caught him looking at real estate, and whereas b4 he would never look at a house over 7yo, he called me in to look at a 1976 property. The selling point? 3 "workshops" that looked like ready-made adorable chicken coops. I don't know who owned the place, but I think they were trying to create a small Bavarian village.

We have just under 2 fenced acres for free range, 10x16 barn area being renovated for coop, and a large lust for chickens, lol. I want to try several varieties (all must have good behavior, want to see some pretty color eggs), several different ages (so I don't wind up with 20 for the stew pot at once), and (what I feel is priority) no more new ones at one time than I can get acclimated to human contact. I don't want my food to be my best friend, but I would like to be able to handle the birds and have them recognize me. I hope to make each one comfortable enough that I can approach it w/o it running off in a snit, and that it will learn to come to me for food/treats/penning up at night, etc. does that seem unreasonable? I think getting 5-7 at a time would be good, til I get up to about 50ish, over the course of a year or so? maybe that would also help keep the "pecking order" from getting too established, idk. then again, that's why I'm here - to learn!

Driving across the State isn't crazy in Chicken World
big_smile.png
One of my Roos...Levi was an over 700 mile trip..those long trips happen way too often here
hide.gif
. Your always going to have a pecking order it happens at hatch in the bator.We re-arrange our birds as I find necessary so they have all learned to get along and play nice with others...my roos go where ever as well sometimes to breeding pens sometimes to share with another roo they are fine with it-they know what happens otherwise
pop.gif
. Our birds all think we are their friends...our leghorns think we are dinner providers...they are not cuddle pets.
Now,I'm a bit closer than Jenelle..right now I'm sold out other than a lone black Ameraucana roo looking for a new address.Will have several for sale by Spring as we are hatching hundreds right now.Lets see we will have some of everything listed in my signature including some Mille Fleur Bantam Cochins..also adding Lavender Orpington's to our flock in December
I strongly suggest more than 50 and several bators...oops there is my addiction flaring up again..then again Hatching as I type and more going to lockdown today I can't stop I can't stop HELP I can't STOP
lau.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
really? addiction? you?
ep.gif
never woulda guessed that BYC harboured chicken addicts....

I may be dreaming, but really hope to luck onto a good broody or two...if we get to the incubating/hatchery thing, it may seem odd, but I'm really considering trying to farm that out to some family. My 70yo parents live with my 90ish mammaw and great aunt. They are up all hours of day and night, so having someone turn eggs every 4hrs wouldn't be a big deal. Also, I think they would get a kick out of seeing the babies and enjoy feeling like they are part of something we do. I mean, we're not talking large scale production here, just a couple dozen eggs twice a year I guess? I just like including them in my projects, they're only 20 min away, but sometimes it seems so far. I know I won't have them long...(dramatic pause, sigh)....better use them while I still can!
wink.png

Quote:
gig.gif
really? addiction? you?
ep.gif
never woulda guessed that BYC harboured chicken addicts....

I may be dreaming, but really hope to luck onto a good broody or two...if we get to the incubating/hatchery thing, it may seem odd, but I'm really considering trying to farm that out to some family. My 70yo parents live with my 90ish mammaw and great aunt. They are up all hours of day and night, so having someone turn eggs every 4hrs wouldn't be a big deal. Also, I think they would get a kick out of seeing the babies and enjoy feeling like they are part of something we do. I mean, we're not talking large scale production here, just a couple dozen eggs twice a year I guess? I just like including them in my projects, they're only 20 min away, but sometimes it seems so far. I know I won't have them long...(dramatic pause, sigh)....better use them while I still can!
wink.png

my mom 91 yrs old lives with me 24/7 wheelchair/ bed ridden lol she has dementia you are lucky to still have your parent mind intact

everybody stay warm for days to come

Last edited:
yeah, I know I am lucky
smile.png
I can't believe how many "ancestors" I have living. I don't see them as much as I should - I just hate seeing them old and getting decrepit, plus I hate driving since my wreck. They don't have a lot to look forward to up there besides the mail, doctors appointments, and the Avon lady. If it weren't too difficult, I think it would be exciting for them. 40yrs ago they had Ray's Egg Co. and I think Farm Boy eggs in Memphis, it would at least bring back memories!

I have 30 button quail for sale, they are 4 weeks old and they are a variety of colors, blue breasted, greys, whites, etc... $2. each or all for $50. I am located in Delano, in Polk Co.

Back
Top Bottom