Tennessee

Quote:
Oh, no thats not who I was thinking of, but he is a good person to get chicks off of. The guy I was thinking of is my neighbor, he has polish right now (not chicks) and he's got like 10 of them in a tiny chain link dog kennel together.... which is why I won't buy anything from him and won't let any good hearted person (like a BYC member) buy anything from him. He doesn't own a chicken coop, just half covered runs.

I keep some of my birds in a run, but it has a huge 4x5 home made dog house in it which is plenty for the 4 chickens in it. There is nothing wrong with raising them in a run, just as long as they can get in a good shelter.

Quote:
I can do it! I'm not kosher but I won't mix it up with pig or anything. Oh and I found some Polish at a place called LC Feeds. He has some eggs in the bator right now...

Robo you better look up kosher first. It is more than keeping pigs away from meat. It is also knifes used just for one type of meat and all utensile used. There is also a blessening I belive if I remember right. Animals must be done in seprate rooms if not buildings for no cross contamination. Not even sure pigs can even be done on same property to be kosher.

Quote:
I can do it! I'm not kosher but I won't mix it up with pig or anything. Oh and I found some Polish at a place called LC Feeds. He has some eggs in the bator right now...

Robo, what was the guys name? I think I may know who you're talking about.

Nella, I process my own chickens. I wouldn't know about processing someone elses or how much to charge though
hu.gif

Wademach1977
welcome-byc.gif

what age do you process your dual purpose roosters? I'm growing up 12 olive egger/cochin boys.....just the leftovers from my late '10 hatches. I have started giving my roosters away to some lady to process/eat.....i'd rather pay someone to process them (a couple at a time) or trade them for processing (ie, here are 10 free roosters in trade for you processing 2 for me).

They are still young now, but I think the oldest batch are coming up on the 12 week mark.

Robo, its more than just that... he just doesn't care. It's hard to explain, theres just a lot of things he does I don't agree with, he's a pro at jipping people. He got out of jail after only 6 months for 17 indictments (sp?) which included cock fighting and dog fighting and stealing livestock. I stay friends with his wife but he's bipolar. He says he's doing stuff more legal now than how he used to but I don't support him by buying from him. I guess I feel an animal should have a little "building" of some sort to stay warm in and out of the wind.
idunno.gif
Guess since I know all the bad things he's done bothers me.
Also, I think Cybercat is right, Kosher salt is salt that has been prayed over from the Jewish folk.

Nella, I do it at 16 weeks... I did some that were much older and they wouldn't fit into the scalding pot
th.gif

I do the CornishX 8 weeks, and been working on the Red Broilers from Ideal recently the hens are now reaching 15 weeks old.

I can't stand the thought of chickens out in bad weather with no shelter. Or rather, any animal actually. I have a cat on my lap right now, one more in the other room and 4 (yep, 4) dogs inside the house enjoying the warmth. My chickens are all locked in their nice coops, out of the wind and safe from predators. Hmph.

Hannah, how are the 2 girls doing?

FYI all, I will have point of lay olive egger/cochin girls for sale this spring. I am waiting to see how they all turn out....I have 14 total, 13 of which are cochin/OE. 14th is OE/Ameraucana and will stay here (so cute!). I have blues, blacks, splashes and wheatens, all are feather legged too.

Quote:
I agree completely, if it is like that then I would stay away from him too. I process mine around 20 weeks if I only have a few, if more I process at 17 weeks.

Quote:

Robo you better look up kosher first. It is more than keeping pigs away from meat. It is also knifes used just for one type of meat and all utensile used. There is also a blessening I belive if I remember right. Animals must be done in seprate rooms if not buildings for no cross contamination. Not even sure pigs can even be done on same property to be kosher.

Yeah, I have taken a class on Jewish customs ext. but I don't know much about kosher food. I will be happy to process a few birds for someone but I think I better stay away from kosher....

Quote:
My cat is outside, but she can get under the skirt of our trailer out of the weather and stays warm by the heat ducts under the house. All my chickens have a shelter (except the meaties, but I cover them as best I can with a tarp until I butcher them) I do have regular chicks in with them but I've run out of room and need another chicken coop and run.

The girls are great, first day I had them the dalmation one slipped out and I had to chase it for 5 minutes til I finally grabbed her and then the next morning I found an egg but that's all. The 2 girls are in quarintine right now, but I feel they're fine to put in with the others here soon. They're in our butchering shelter, since we aren't butchering anything, in a dog kennel. They're so cute
tongue.png

I wish it'd get warm again so I can get to working on another chicken coop, DH is supposed to borrow his dads truck (which we may be buying since ours needs work) to pick up a wooden box from work that we're going to make into a coop
smile.png
already put together and everything. We just have to go get the wood for another run.

Back
Top Bottom