Tennessee

Pics
We lost power for about an hour, hopefully it's back for good here. Talked to Cindiloohoo and hers is still down, went out about 5:30. She has a heater going there and said she'd call me when she gets hers back. We only have enough snow/ice to cover the ground but the lines and trees are really weighed down with ice. Luckily Ed was able to get the water back running, we're on well water. Best wishes to everyone and stay warm.

We got about 4" but then some freezing stuff so it compacted it to about 3" of thick sticky stuff.Kids couldn't wait to go sledding
celebrate.gif

Our power stayed on but we are always ready with back up generators so the incubators can stay running...heck with the fridge and those things the bators must stay warm
lol.png
We camp frequently without any electric or water so we are equipped with coffee and toast without any electric if we have to.
My EE's have laid very well all winter and lining up at the next boxes today.I can always count on my green eggs being there.
OK back out to get eggs before they freeze and refill the water dishes
he.gif

I have power right now but it has been going off and on all day. Had nice snow last night, then it switched to freezing rain and now it is a melting slushy mess. Finally decided to let the chickens out and only the older ladies (and their guard roosters) were interested in the scratch I threw out. All the younguns came out and then went back inside.

24277_0130001338c.jpg

Yours will go out in it?!! I haven't seen hide nor hair (or would that be beak or feather?) of my little sissy chickens since the snow started yesterday. Everytime I go out to check on them they fuss at me like it is all my fault the ground is white.
roll.png
They are all holed up in the coops. I moved food and water inside for them early yesterday and took out hot oatmeal this morning. Everyone is still laying, they just won't step outside the coop. I think one of the silkies has decided to go broody too. She's been on the nest since this all started. What is it with silkies and nasty weather? Mine only go broody when the weather is horrible. Sigh.

We got 3-4" of snow before the freezing rain started last night. There's maybe 3/8" of ice on everything. (I'm outside of Murfreesboro.) The biggest problem is ice on the overhead netting. It normally is at about 7' off the ground. The ice has pulled it down to about head height (and I"m 5'6"). I tried knocking it off and only succeeded in knocking a hole in it.
hmm.png
Hopefully it will hold up until the thaw.

IMG_5241.jpg

Mine don't spend much time out. Just enough to get teh scratch....they usually spend bad weather hanging out in the 'garage' area....a 12x12 open area in my garage they can get into. It is covered on 3 sides plus the roof, so they like to hang out in there during the day. You can see it in the background here.

24277_0130001338.jpg

Quote:
I feel ya on the coffee. My list of must have's for winter mess is COffee, Tp,and smokes {yes I smoke,and yes,I know its bad for me}. Glad your power came back on so fast.We have not lost power but a bunch fo my friends in North MS have.

Yall taught me something already today.about the EE not really liking to lay in this winter stuff. THose are the kind I want.While chickens arent DH's "thing", he seems to like the idea fo the different colored eggs! My oldest, Critter {9} said, Oh Mama, green eggs and Ham! gotta love that big un of ours,lol.

I read about yall stocking up on feed. Lets say you do run out, ya reckon making a big pan of cornbread would suit them? Im trying to get my homework good and done before we start this chicken trip.

This is the only thread Ive been to so far {besides the intro one},but fingers crossed Ill have more quiet time before the Monkey {2} both boys, wakes up. Off to look at coops!
pop.gif

Have a happy snow day!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! What part of west TN are you from? Medina here........

Good Morning, Im not FROM Tn at all.
smile.png
Im from Hernando,Ms.but I live in Tn now,and have for 3 years. Right now we are in Newbern,but are seeling our house, fingers crossed, and moving to Tipton County, where my DH is from. I know roughly where Medina is, its just N. of Jackson,right? Do you know where Covington or Munford is? We will be west of there close to the River. Hoping to move by the 20th of Feb.

Im going to try posting a snow picture. lets see if it works. there are no chickens in this pic. Just a big ole hen,a monkey and a critter.
YourLinkGoesHere
47759_snow_248.jpg

Last edited:
We ended up with between 6-8" of snow depending where we measure. The temps last night got low enough that its crusty and frozen on top this morning. Here is a pic of our walk yesterday morning. We got a bit more snow afterwards.

35167_january_30_009.jpg

We got around 5" yesterday in Mount Juliet, and by this morning it had compacted somewhat - - and frozen solid. 9 degrees F here this morning, so everyone's either in their coops or in their heated enclosed porches enjoying oatmeal and corn.

And of course, the snow and ice is Mama's fault.
wink.png

Hope everyone is staying warm. Sending out prayers for those without power!

Back
Top Bottom