Tennessee

I always learn something when I visit here! Y'all are just a wealth of knowledge - and thanks a bunch!

I have a trap that is shaped like a box, and it holds up to 20 mice! Nothing for our birdies to get caught in, no bait or poison necessary! Then you could release the little buggers into the pens with the big birds for their dining pleasure. Got it at Lehman.com, which is in Oh and sells stuff for farmers and the Amish so they have lots of non-electric goodies and innovative things.

My big old black cat dispatched a rat yesterday while waiting on me to finish up locking the birds up. I shut him up in the rabbit shelter (where I keep 2 birds during the day-at night they roost with the others) and he had it caught and half eaten when I opened the door. Yuk.... But I praised him anyway.

I'm afraid the outside cat has signed peace treaties with all the little mousies. He is completely useless at rodent control. The indoor cats are iffy in their hunting skills. They really prefer to annoy the mice more than anything else.
Problem two is that the mice come out mainly at night and that's when the coop is full of tiny silkies. I'm afraid the cat would do more damage to the silkies than the mice.
sad.png

I have a box that holds poison on the inside, so the chickens and wild birds can't get to it. It has holes on the sides that the mice crawl into to get to the poison. It works great when I remember to put the poison in it.
roll.png

Cats catch mice? We have a JRT for that..the cats would really be annoyed by such things..We are cheap here so we take the big coffee containers...the ones that once held about a gallon but downsized and cut a hole in the lid just right for a fat mouse then stick it right near the feeders with a milk crate over the top so the chickens can't bother it.We use the big blocks of mouse food..one block every few days in each pen...did I mention we have lots of those awful things..then for fun we play whack a mouse...like the kids game whack a mole...head pops up and
smack.gif

How could I have lived this long and not known that chickens have facial expressions, as well as personalities? THEY DO!!!

I've been going out in hubbys camo coat/hood and my bibs, gloves.....so I don't look anything like I normally do (well, normal is a relative term, ok!)
A few squawked at my first appearance like that - Help, it's Motra come to do us in!

Now that they've noticed that "The Thing" brings good things to eat they're more curious. Betsy Ross gets this quizzical look on her face and turns her head from side to side trying to figure me out! She and Mrs Meade attack the buttons on my cuffs and have tried their darndest to pull them off (FOOD!)
ya.gif

Snow is melting and they're all out and poking around again! Yeah! We made it thru the 'snow event'! Got some good pics in the thin sunlight.....but it's hard to focus when somebody keeps trying to climb into yer lap ~
I told ya Betsy Ross likes me. SEE!

74143_100_5841.jpg

19588_i_i3_io_019.jpg
19588_i_i3_io_015.jpg
19588_i_i3_io_011.jpg
19588_i_i3_io_012.jpg
19588_i_i3_io_008.jpg

Here are some pics of some of my bantams ,I took these today,they were glad to see some sunshine,So am I!lol
I think the way they loaded is first,wyandottes,then pycheon pair and two friends,then EEs,then turkens,then golden comets

barnie.gif

So, not having a great day... I decided I'd post to see how all the TN chicken peeps were! How's everyone's day going? How's the chickens? All mine are still alive.... Keeping them up because of the snow, I open the door just in case they decide they need to stretch they're wings. The meaties are still here, probably going to just butcher all of them on the next semi-warm day.

Ok, I have to let off steam! I ordered my mini last friday, well they had UPS doing the shipping, and so UPS emailed me with all the tracking info. I had been keeping an eye on it and they had it "ON TIME IN TRANSIT" delivery for yesterday by end of day... Well, no one showed, and I figured they'd update the website.... well they did today and all it says is "IN TRANSIT" nothing about where it could be and it's last known location was Orlando, FL! So, I'm hoping to see it tomorrow, good thing I'll be home.
barnie.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
I think the least they could do is let me know if it even made it to TN....

Had my first day of classes
tongue.gif
on 5 hours of sleep! Hope this snow melts! Mustang is RWD and won't make it out of our driveway, so had to ride with DH this morning.

It will get better.If it was coming from FL then it got stuck in AL along with everything else trying to get up here from down there...hopefully it wasn't in the UPS truck they showed stuck on ice in GA yesterday-didn't crash but it wasn't moving anytime soon
barnie.gif
Spring will come...it will I'm a betting those meaties hope it holds off for awhile
big_smile.png

Hi All! I posted on here before, but then dropped off the face of BYC for a while. I am in Savannah and excited to get new chickens this spring. Are there any Western TN chicken groups? I belonged to one in NC and enjoyed it immensely.

Back
Top Bottom