Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad rooster.

I tried the picking him up and carrying him deal, but I can’t catch him except off the roost at night or first thing in the morning before I let them out, and I go to college full time so it’s hard to work with their schedule.
Maybe he's bad because he doesn't want to be called Debbie :gig

I haven't had experience with roosters but I know they're pretty mean. I researched and apparently you should pick them up more, especially in front of hens.

Sorry, I don't have much of an answer, but he's a beautiful roo!

No, I was feeding them out of a scoop! Tossing handfuls like I always do. Mine free range all day every day and I generally give them scratch in the evening when I get home so it doesn’t get wet in the dew in the mornings. He doesn’t get the chance to call much of anyone since the alpha bullies him mercilessly, and I pity him and give him tidbits of the fresh things I give them because even the hens bully him off those treats.
Did you have a bag in your hand? My one rooster does not like bags of all things.

Another thing that I changed--I put the treats out and then let them out of the coop. This way he gets to call the girls when he finds the treats versus them running to me for them. It made a huge difference and it's no harder to do.

I have! I tried just challenging him back so he’d realize I’m bigger and leave me alone, I tried picking him up and carrying him, I tried leaving him alone and ignoring him, I have since resorted to kicking him as hard and far as I can and that usually gets him to leave me alone for that time, but he always tries again another day.
You shouldn't go right to getting rid of the roo. You need to try at least something first, right?!

My main concern with selling him/giving him to someone is that he is strictly people aggressive, not chicken or other rooster aggressive, and I’d hate to give that kind of hateful thing to someone. I’m very strongly leaning towards culling and trying a new chicken recipe right now...

I'll take your word for it.
I remember in the end, he was the only one left! So it was not like he was protecting his flock and then he was just loose attacking everybody that came onto the property. One time he attacked the insurance adjuster that came onto the property all dressed in his suit.

In my experience he’ll only get bigger and stronger. He’s proven himself. When you feel like you have to fight one of your animals it’s gotten to the point to take action for safety’s sake. I would cull him if he were mine. Nobody likes this choice but roosters will come and go. If he had ripped your face or a child’s face or eyes.....I just wouldn’t risk it sorry

So sorry this rooster has been so mean to everyone. How disappointing! I think I would get rid of him too. But who would want him? And I know, of course, that youll warn them about his behavior. It's not easy. You're not alone. We all care. Please let us know how this goes. And be sure and keep disinfecting that wound. Take care, Shanny123
Thank you! I’ll keep an eye on the wound; it’s not a puncture due to his incredibly dull spurs but it still had plenty of nastiness in it I’m sure.

I can’t bring myself to give him to someone else and have them potentially get hurt. Given that he attacks strangers I have no doubt his actions would not change. I also do not want to bring myself to kill him because stupidly enough, I’ve bonded with him as I raised him from a chick. My father has agreed to kill him for me; Friday morning is the kill date as I’ll have all the time I need to process him. I’ve never processed a chicken before, so if anyone has any tips, tricks, or links, I would very much appreciate it. I hate mindless killing so I’d really rather get the most from him.

Note: I have culled before, but she was sick. It went badly; I read up on the “easiest” way to go about it which was hanging her upside down and slitting her throat... always be sure to have the proper tools needed so you don’t scar yourself mentally. That being said, I haven’t yet worked up the nerve to kill again. Someday I aspire to have meat chickens however that will take some proper housing etc and will be a while yet.

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2016/07/how-to-butcher-a-chicken.html
This website shows how to butcher.
Note: do not scald in a pot inside your house. It smells awful.
Some people skin the chicken to avoid having to remove the feathers, but i like the flavor and moisture the skin retains.
I am happy you have made this decision. It will be dificult but better in the long run.

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2016/07/how-to-butcher-a-chicken.html
This website shows how to butcher.
Note: do not scald in a pot inside your house. It smells awful.
Some people skin the chicken to avoid having to remove the feathers, but i like the flavor and moisture the skin retains.
I am happy you have made this decision. It will be dificult but better in the long run.
Thank you so much for the link and the tips, as well as the support! I believe we will be much better off; I was planning on keeping one or two Roos of the new breeds I brooded this spring anyhow so eliminating one makes room for another, as awful as it sounds. I’m hoping my other boys play nice; I don’t cherish the thought of killing something I’ve raised for a purpose other than meat.

Taking a life is never easy, but I think you are making the right decision. There are many good roosters out there, and shouldn't settle for one that is injuring you and your family. Taking out the mean ones, means giving the good ones a chance at life.

The butchering may be fairly emotional for you. I found it easier to give some time between the butchering and the eating. After letting the meat rest for two days, it then goes the freezer. When I pull it out a month later, the emotions have settled down, and I can enjoy the meat more.

Back
Top Bottom