Texas

Ok I have an issue. My teen rooster surprise attacked my husband and was met with a foot to the chest I think. Now he is not putting weight on one leg. Leg and foot appear fine. But I am wondering if he has a broken bone inside. We can't catch him, unless it is at night. Should I be concerned? He is eating well and getting around/up to roost etc. Just sitting more.
What would you do? How long does it take to heal if broken?

we HAD a roo like that that broke its leg... clean thru the femur!!! never figgered out what it was that broke it... but it started fusing back together by the time I took it to school.. doc didn't want to set it because it had started healing... in about 2mo it was running around...
feel the leg firmly, thumb over fingers, feel down to see if you can feel a break in the rigidity if its broken you can splint it and confine to a small cage....

we HAD a roo like that that broke its leg... clean thru the femur!!! never figgered out what it was that broke it... but it started fusing back together by the time I took it to school.. doc didn't want to set it because it had started healing... in about 2mo it was running around...
feel the leg firmly, thumb over fingers, feel down to see if you can feel a break in the rigidity if its broken you can splint it and confine to a small cage....
thanks. I was hoping you'd be one to reply. Anything I should watch for to indicate he is not healing well inside?

Quote:
check for extremely high temps either on the broken area (assuming it is a broken bone) or overall body fever
Also watch for a lack of interest in feed and water... other than that i wouldn't worry too much.. i have seen birds lose an entire wing and survive just fine.. so a broken leg isn't that much of a big deal so long as the bone isn't splintered.

Chickens were "hardwired" for survival... (well.. poultry in general).. it's how ducks and geese can survive without a foot.. or how a chicken can survive without a wing. Their blood can clot very easily and their bones can heal rather quickly. Just thinking about our caponized birds.. we don't use stitches even though we make several incisions into the body cavity which would be major surgery for other critters.

Quote:
yeah.. there are bad sellers out there.. and also a lot of bad buyers.. Just recently i saw where someone had expensive eggs and claimed they had a 0 hatch rate and wanted to con the seller into giving them a refund.. funny thing is this same person has a habit of doing this (at least one other time that I know of for certain)... With people like that there's no wonder that the sellers aren't much better!

check for extremely high temps either on the broken area (assuming it is a broken bone) or overall body fever
Also watch for a lack of interest in feed and water... other than that i wouldn't worry too much.. i have seen birds lose an entire wing and survive just fine.. so a broken leg isn't that much of a big deal so long as the bone isn't splintered. 

Chickens were "hardwired" for survival... (well.. poultry in general).. it's how ducks and geese can survive without a foot.. or how a chicken can survive without a wing. Their blood can clot very easily and their bones can heal rather quickly. Just thinking about our caponized birds.. we don't use stitches even though we make several incisions into the body cavity which would be major surgery for other critters. 
thanks, yours was. The other response I was hoping for.

yeah.. there are bad sellers out there.. and also a lot of bad buyers.. Just recently i saw where someone had expensive eggs and claimed they had a 0 hatch rate and wanted to con the seller into giving them a refund.. funny thing is this same person has a habit of doing this (at least one other time that I know of for certain)... With people like that there's no wonder that the sellers aren't much better!
Thankfully, I have met some amazing, noble and honest folks here in BYC that have given me great advice and kept me from making bad choices.

Hello everyone! I'm in North East texas and new to Raising chickens. I have a half dozen girls of different breeds, ranging from 3 weeks to almost 7 weeks. EE, Austrolorpes, BO, BLRW and Dom. I'm addicted and can't wait to get more! I've got chicken fever baaaad! Nice to see such a friendly bunch on here!
welcome from a fellow north east texan.

Back
Top Bottom