Texas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by allen wranch, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Texiken2000

Texiken2000 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    What colors do you gave and what breeds of chickens do you have

2. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    Texican,
    Are they adults or chicks? From what it sounds like you have the standard pearl gray guineas, i have 3 with my chickens as well. Sexing them is hard, females will have a 2 syllable call, a "buck-wheat" sound. Males only make a 1 syllable "squwak". But yeah...they some crazy lookin creatures, huh!

3. fowlmouthgirls

fowlmouthgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    East of Dallas
    Hello everyone! I'm in North East texas and new to Raising chickens. I have a half dozen girls of different breeds, ranging from 3 weeks to almost 7 weeks. EE, Austrolorpes, BO, BLRW and Dom. I'm addicted and can't wait to get more! I've got chicken fever baaaad! Nice to see such a friendly bunch on here!
    [​IMG]

4. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Good Morning and [​IMG] from Rosenberg, TX!

You have come to the right place if you want to be enabled!! Don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a few on here who are newbies.

Lisa :)

5. Texiken2000

Mar 18, 2013
    Mine are adult-ish they look full grown but I'm waiting for them to lay.

6. Texiken2000

Mar 18, 2013
    Good morning from San Angelo Tx.

7. fowlmouthgirls

fowlmouthgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    East of Dallas
    Thanks Lisa! I find I'm learning something new everyday! It's nice to have people to talk to about my girls, my sister in Oregon has chickens and I think she was getting tired of me texting her night and day asking newbie questions, lol. She doesn't own her own business like I do, so I can obsess and not get fired!! Lol

8. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La

Welcome!! Dont be afraid to jump right in. Such cute girls. Where in the North East part are you located?

9. Little Wing

Little Wing Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Basically if a chicken lays a blue or green egg (has the blue egg genes) and is not a recognized breed by the APA as a standard breed, it is an EE. Thats what EEs are, mixes of breeds or mutts but I don't like to call them that. Light Brahmas and Ameraucana should make beautiful EEs. Not every cross with an Ameraucana will lay blue eggs. On crosses, the ones with a pea comb will most likely lay blue eggs. The pea comb gene and the blue egg gene are closely related. That being said, I just had a cross between an Ameraucana and BCM that was a pullet with a pea comb that lays a brown egg.
    The first cross from any two chickens is considered F! or first generation. If you breed your EEs back to an Ameraucana or Brahma their offspring would be F2 or second generation.
    I have both EE and Ameraucana and if one of the pure AM chicks comes out a non standard color it is considered an EE even though it came from pure parents.

10. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    i would call those F1 EE crosses. The way i understand an EE is descibed is basically an americauna that is lacking certain traits as defined by the SOP. such as muffs, slate colord legs, etc. but the more and more i read is that EE will include anything that lays a greenish egg it seems. i think of EE's in a sense as when someone asks you "would you like a coke? if so what kind" kinda deal. EE is a broad catch all....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by