Texas

As long as they aren't huddling together they'll probably be okay. Haven't had a light on the guineas in over a week. They're not much older.

Lost four guineas today to a snake. Thanks to my dog Blue there is no more snake to speak of. Good boy Blue.

On the bright side my rose is booming.
He loves those snakes, doesn't he??

Hello all... I lurk pretty often but I havent posted in quite some time. Welcome to all the new folks. I got 4 BR pullets back in the 1st week of May. According to the man I got them from, they were 7-8 weeks old at the time of purchase. That would put them at 21-22 weeks old now so I'm offically on egg watch! Could be any day now but at least in the next few weeks. Exciting!

Last edited:
Hello all... I lurk pretty often but I havent posted in quite some time. Welcome to all the new folks. I got 4 BR pullets back in the 1st week of May. According to the man I got them from, they were 7-8 weeks old at the time of purchase. So that would put them at 21-22 weeks old now so I'm offically on egg watch! Could be any day now but at least in the next few weeks. Exciting!
I also am on egg watch. Out of 10 chicks that were hatched March 18 we lost 2, 2 for sure, maybe 3 are roos, jury is still out on one of the wyndottes. Have 5 that are hens for sure but no eggs yet. The heat may be delaying the laying as over all egg production is down. Good luck!

This heat is so oppressive 96 right now...wish chickens liked water, I would give them a nice shower to cool them off. They have shade and fans in the chicken house but they are still miserable. Too hot to work outside from noon to 6 so we veg in the AC and do inside stuff. Hard to find anything appealing to eat too. Even the dogs don't want to go out, just want to lay around on the tile floor. Planted the fall garden Monday, bean and field pea seedlings are already up, hope they can stand this heat and sun and not burn up before it cools off some. So ready for fall to get here even though the cold won't be far behind. Just can't handle the heat the way we could when we were younger.

Last edited:
Hi Ya'll to all my Texas people. I'm a new member from Damon, TX.

Welcome!
frow.gif

Hello all... I lurk pretty often but I havent posted in quite some time. Welcome to all the new folks. I got 4 BR pullets back in the 1st week of May. According to the man I got them from, they were 7-8 weeks old at the time of purchase. That would put them at 21-22 weeks old now so I'm offically on egg watch! Could be any day now but at least in the next few weeks. Exciting!
Good luck! Mine was about 23/24 weeks. She was the 3rd to lay out of my 5 girls. But just barely behind my 2nd

I am infinitely grateful I have not come across any snakes. They terrify me, and I'm usually the one locking up after The Ladies & The Girls at night...I think I'd die of fright if I was met by a slithering snake in or around my flock. Here's hoping I continue to have no snakes. *knock on wood*
thumbsup.gif

This heat is so oppressive 96 right now...wish chickens liked water, I would give them a nice shower to cool them off.  They have shade and fans in the chicken house but they are still miserable.  Too hot to work outside from noon to 6 so we veg in the AC and do inside stuff.  Hard to find anything appealing to eat too. Even the dogs don't want to go out, just want to lay around on the tile floor.  Planted the fall garden Monday, bean and field pea seedlings are already up,  hope they can stand this heat and sun and not burn up before it cools off some.  So ready for fall to get here even though the cold won't be far behind.  Just can't handle the heat the way we could when we were younger.

Sometimes in the heat of the day, I set my sprinkler up next to the run and turn it on really low. They seem to like it, so yours might actually like a cool shower! My mom's hens will stand in a water pan to cool off but mine won't. So they get sprinklers instead. This heat is brutal. I'm more worried about them now than I was when it was in the teens this past winter.

Back
Top Bottom