Texas

Hey there Rooster Cogburn7!
Although I didn't read anything about centralized centers--- I thought that they were going to privatize the testing, I see what you are saying about the Agrilife extension offices. If they set up something like those 'clinics' that TSC has on the weekends for dog vaccinations -- except at the agrilife center for chicken testing -- hmmm. Everyone stands in line holding their chicken. It would be efficient.

Just Re-read it -- and it looks like a person could be certified to test their own flock -- the training is free and this summer (which is 1/2 over, but the letter just got to me....I'll check out that website). I agree that there would be risk to travel all over and be exposed to anything that a particular flock could have. Their FAQ mentions 'shoe covers and disposable coveralls'

When you say: "
"The paranoid part of me thinks they are trying to stick to the small farmer again in deference to large agriculture and people who are offended by chickens in their neighborhood.

Again, I am trying to figure out my State. Suddenly, chickens are bad, but on 09/01/2017 you can strap a sword on your back for carry a spear. I am trying to understand the insanity."

It is probably a cost-cutting measure, more than targeting small chicken owners -- the travel, and supplies and time of the current testers would all be a 'savings' to TVMDL and transferred to the flock owners.

It could be an opportunity for someone -- but my seller's license expires Sept 8th -- and you cannot sell at auctions without the seller's license, and you cannot get the seller's license without the P/T certificate.
On a more serious side and less personal to just me -- the bottom line of the P?T certificate says that it is a violation to transfer poultry or hatching eggs without valid Pullorum-Typhoid status -- so without the certificate we would be in violation to transfer chickens or hatching eggs.
:O(

Since I'm in Arlington and no longer keep my civil aviation license, it'd be within about a 3 hour drive from me. Not at all sure I'd be up for the job, though. I haven't heard yet what the training would entail, how much I'd have to invest in equipment, if I'd have to run my own lab, use the A&M lab, or could contract with one. And then there's the question of liability, insurance, and a whole mess of other stuff. Not to mention, do I really want to visit a bunch of strangers' flocks then possibly bring home contaminants to mine? No matter how careful you are, stuff happens. And . . . HE and I are looking to make our move to a more rural area within the next five years or less. Definitely not sure I need/want to take this on.

Yes, that is exactly it.

The testing, as I recall, entails obtaining a drop of blood from the chicken (it only takes a drop) smearing it on the slide and waiting a minute or so for the result. It's a field test, doesn't require a lab. I've always been the one to catch my own chicken for the testing - no one chases around except me and the chicken. There is a bald spot when the wing is lifted and a tiny prick there produces blood and then a tiny wire loop transfers the blood to the glass slide, that is pre-treated with something -- and the results occur right there and then. next a certificate is printed out --

Someone I know in West Virginia or was it Virginia or someplace back east became a state P/T tester, and that year their flock got MG - they had also been taking chickens to a lot of shows etc. I'm not sure this person was ultra careful about biosecurity (Frankly I think that they weren't) but they ended up depopulating their own flock except for some hatching eggs that tested O.K.

So you are right about the risk.

how cool that you were a pilot. Before I spent 10-years of my life traveling 100% of the time - I used to think being in a plane was the greatest thing that there was. Although it has been many years since I accompanied a private pilot -- it was commercial flying to job assignments during those 10-years -- so I just started sleeping through the flights. Now that I'm old and decrepit, I have lost the wish to travel.

If you just want to keep a few hens, never selling any hatching eggs or birds, you are fine. But for breeders it becomes a big issue and an added expense. For hobby breeders especially so. Big corporate hatcheries not so much. But the smaller hobby breeders, and all those rare breed passion breeders are going to see that pleasant but not cheap pastime get even more expensive and entangled in red tape.

I did think that the law about transferring hatching eggs and live birds was already on the books, just not stringently enforced? Am I wrong? Not having been involved in breeding to SOP or rare breeds, I could certainly be wrong. Or maybe it is just pertaining to across state lines or from non P-T free states into P-T free states?

The bill regarding keeping a few backyard hens in Texas passed the House, not gone to the Senate. Maybe this isn't related. Probably not. But does make you wonder.

I'm thinking a lot of folks will learn to test their own flocks, if that is allowed. I'd not allow that, if I was writing the rules, but I'm not.

If they had a simpler way to test, that'd be a sure $$$ maker! Like something as easy as a pregnancy test, almost instant and idiot proof.

Yep, I think it is kind of like the EPT -- the liquid (in the chicken case blood) reacts with some chemicals or something to show results.

You are right the law has been around and probably loads and loads of people don't know about it --- I sold hatching eggs before I was aware of it...... can't even remember if I did interstate or not..it's been so long ago.

somehow -- I'm of the opinion that the law itself should be cause for compliance not just the fear of being caught. And yes, hobbyists and backyarders probably aren't a concern because the volume is so low...

It's interesting - I see both sides about someone being able to test their own flock....hmmm

Just found this on the tamu website:

Authorized Testing Agent Training Schedule

Thursday, July 27, 2017 | 1-5 PM | Louis Pearce Pavilion, 555 George Bush Drive West, College Station, Texas 77840

• FULL – Due to overwhelming response this training is full.
More trainings to come!

• More training dates and places are being scheduled and as soon as they are confirmed they will be posted.
Don’t see a date that fits your needs? Contact us regarding your interest with TVMDL’s PT Program Office. Be sure to include your name, contact information, and location.

@kpolenz eggscellent! I want to see pics! My mixed flock is almost 6 weeks old now. They've been in my unairconditioned sunroom since arrival (from Ideal) and doing fine with the good ventilation plus a fan going. I'm hopeful that will help them adjust better when the go to the coop in a week or so. Weather delays in finishing the coop. Had to let it dry out some before I could finish the French drains (about 100 ft) and drainage field. Foundation and floor are now installed, working on modular units under cover now. Getting a few dry days in a row now, so maybe done by the end of next weekend. :fl

Y'all stay chill!

My Coronation Sussex don't have a problem with the heat. You just need to make sure, like all chickens, that they have access to water at all times.

Hey there Rooster Cogburn7!
Although I didn't read anything about centralized centers--- I thought that they were going to privatize the testing, I see what you are saying about the Agrilife extension offices. If they set up something like those 'clinics' that TSC has on the weekends for dog vaccinations -- except at the agrilife center for chicken testing -- hmmm. Everyone stands in line holding their chicken. It would be efficient.

Just Re-read it -- and it looks like a person could be certified to test their own flock -- the training is free and this summer (which is 1/2 over, but the letter just got to me....I'll check out that website). I agree that there would be risk to travel all over and be exposed to anything that a particular flock could have. Their FAQ mentions 'shoe covers and disposable coveralls'

When you say: "
"The paranoid part of me thinks they are trying to stick to the small farmer again in deference to large agriculture and people who are offended by chickens in their neighborhood.

Again, I am trying to figure out my State. Suddenly, chickens are bad, but on 09/01/2017 you can strap a sword on your back for carry a spear. I am trying to understand the insanity."

It is probably a cost-cutting measure, more than targeting small chicken owners -- the travel, and supplies and time of the current testers would all be a 'savings' to TVMDL and transferred to the flock owners.

It could be an opportunity for someone -- but my seller's license expires Sept 8th -- and you cannot sell at auctions without the seller's license, and you cannot get the seller's license without the P/T certificate.
On a more serious side and less personal to just me -- the bottom line of the P?T certificate says that it is a violation to transfer poultry or hatching eggs without valid Pullorum-Typhoid status -- so without the certificate we would be in violation to transfer chickens or hatching eggs.
:O(

Transportation would be an issue. Not many people have the ability to bring their birds to a sorting center considering you have flocks of 40 plus sometimes. You do need T/P testing for an NPIP license. Again, I think it is a methodology to drive the small famer out of business and promote industrial farming. The USDA has been pushing for this for awhile. You get Monsanto Executives that leave there and then lobby their former comrades on their behalf. All outbreaks are blamed on the little guy, when the deplorable conditions of industrial farming like Tyson are apparent.

Back
Top Bottom