Texas

I'm thinking a lot of folks will learn to test their own flocks, if that is allowed. I'd not allow that, if I was writing the rules, but I'm not.

If they had a simpler way to test, that'd be a sure $$$ maker! Like something as easy as a pregnancy test, almost instant and idiot proof.
I don't know...I've seen some women look at the pregnancy test and ask "Does it mean I'm pregnant or not?" BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just found this on the tamu website:

Authorized Testing Agent Training Schedule

Thursday, July 27, 2017 | 1-5 PM | Louis Pearce Pavilion, 555 George Bush Drive West, College Station, Texas 77840

• FULL – Due to overwhelming response this training is full.
More trainings to come!

• More training dates and places are being scheduled and as soon as they are confirmed they will be posted.
Don’t see a date that fits your needs? Contact us regarding your interest with TVMDL’s PT Program Office. Be sure to include your name, contact information, and location.
Yeah, they need to bring one closer to North Texas. It's hot enough here, don't see travelin anywhere else until this heat subsides. Kinda like the class they give for you to inspect your own septic. Saves ya 100-200/year

Hi All

I live in Seguin Tx was born in the UK, and have Light Sussex about 28 right now. Hope to have some Buff & Red Sussex when I can find a good breeder.

UK to Seguin.... wow. ;O) Seems they have more advanced chicken activity over there. One example is that their vets will treat chickens.

Welcome to BYC -- good luck finding the birds you want.

Oh, BTW, I've been on BYC since 2015 but only came back a few days ago. Never have been to Texas forum but sure meetin a lot of Texans on other forums. Nice to be home. Been reading through the years just not participating, but everyone around me is tired of hearin my sarcasm...so here I am :wee

Good! It's about time you got here. :yesss:

Never thought about yearly septic inspection. My guy told me I need to put Copper Sulfide in to discourage roots from getting in. ETA - or maybe it is sulfate... The guys at the feed store will know.

Last edited:
Good! It's about time you got here. :yesss:

Never thought about yearly septic inspection. My guy told me I need to put Copper Sulfide in to discourage roots from getting in.
Yeah, I'm a little late to the party, lol....but thanks for the welcome. We're required in Denton County, to have them inspected at least once a year and the results have to be turned into the county. Not that they're much help. My neighbors septic ran raw sewage in my pasture over a year while the "county" was tryin to figure out what to make them do. :he

we do live in strange times don't we? A friend of mine that is 85 just sold his house (if it makes it through escrow) -- Now he is looking to downsize and move to his ranch. He is looking at those garden-shed portable buildings that they sell, and looking at getting a mobile home. The one that is cheaper will win. I'm telling him he should get a composting toilet, because putting in a septic tank costs about $6,00-$6,500...which then makes $1000 for a high-end composting toilet look really 'cheap' as an alternative.

What did the county finally do for/to your neighbors for their problem?

UK to Seguin.... wow. ;O) Seems they have more advanced chicken activity over there. One example is that their vets will treat chickens.

Welcome to BYC -- good luck finding the birds you want.

True. I was discussing that issue with the Texas Health Inspector that came around. He was of the opinions Vets can do AI testing, they just consider it a waste of their time. He and I both agreed since these vets are rural they would deal with cattle and larger livestock, but consider chickens a waste of their time, and just don't want to.

we do live in strange times don't we? A friend of mine that is 85 just sold his house (if it makes it through escrow) -- Now he is looking to downsize and move to his ranch. He is looking at those garden-shed portable buildings that they sell, and looking at getting a mobile home. The one that is cheaper will win. I'm telling him he should get a composting toilet, because putting in a septic tank costs about $6,00-$6,500...which then makes $1000 for a high-end composting toilet look really 'cheap' as an alternative.

What did the county finally do for/to your neighbors for their problem?

The closest neighbor I have used to be a chicken farmer and a house builder for 30 plus years. He likes chickens, so it isn't an issue. I am not part of an HOA, but I suspect the HOA is irritated by the fact I can have chickens. I suspect, like I said before, when there was legislature that anyone could own 6 chickens that died in committee is because of the HOA lobby. They have money they can force from their constituents to do lobbying. Further, the backlash was a push to make it more difficult for those of us with smaller operations. You get HOA's loosing their minds, and the legislature getting the attention of industrial farming operations, it makes a toxic mix.

This, and other factors have made me want to downsize to enough to enjoy them and have eggs and meat.

True. I was discussing that issue with the Texas Health Inspector that came around. He was of the opinions Vets can do AI testing, they just consider it a waste of their time. He and I both agreed since these vets are rural they would deal with cattle and larger livestock, but consider chickens a waste of their time, and just don't want to.

Yes, the TVMDL letter says that a vet can test. Agreed that vets don't treat chickens for the most part. If you can buy a POL pullet for $6-$20 -- Would you pay $50 or more to take a sick chicken to the vet? Especially when the chicken, by the time it is showing symptoms, is REAL sick...and most chicken problems can be treated at home OR they are hopeless by the time they are discovered. (such as Marek's) Most sick chickens will HIDE any problems that they have to protect themselves from abuse by flock mates.

My question would be does the vet have the P/T testing supplies on hand. The 'key to the door' is also the P/T certificate. It is supposed to accompany all chicken sales and all hatching egg sales. Testing at a sale or show would mean no paperwork -- so you would lack that key item.

If the first TVMDL training class of private testers is full - that's great -- but if you have someone come and pay them say 55-cents a mile for travel...and if you do port-to-port (round trip) -- and then cover their own expenses for - coveralls, shoe coverings, testing supplies and paperwork (like - portable printer - like the testers from A&M carry to print out your certificate on the spot)-- It could be very expensive to get P/T testing. Free on-site testing is a service that looks like it will no longer be supplied. -- (Like when there were full service gas stations and they checked your oil and washed your windshield -- I remember those days)---

It puts those who want to sell or even share/give poultry to others in a bit of a bind. We shouldn't transfer poultry without an up-to-date P/T certificate. If we don't have a certificate, do we just break/bend the law, or are we shut down?

Once you pay the tester expenses, you may as well go to a local vet if they would be willing to do the test and provide you with certification.

I'm trying to get my annual test ASAP -- but probably everyone else is too.
:confused:

When I was involved in the cattle business we had a fantastic vet. Horses and cattle were his primary business. MOST vets now-a-days -- except in 'cattle country' don't do large animals. Both our ranch vets had during their practice had severe life-threatening injury from working with cattle. It's more dangerous than you think even for the best professionals.... but back to topic. Our one vet did a fecal smear for me when I brought in some chicken poop -- and was willing to do 'bumblefoot' surgery -- because we were long-time regular customers and friends as well. For the bumblefoot that my chickens had, I ended up soaking feet in tricyde-neo - and that solved the problem.... no recurrence in the intervening 4-years. (My chickens were in another persons care when they got it, I think that they were living in suboptimal conditions )

I wonder what it would take to get your local vet to do the blood test....especially if you are a regular customer and take your dog there --etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------->:th
Is anyone NPIP? Basically NPIP is P/T testing -- since it is national are there different testers?
:barnie:barnie

Back
Top Bottom